We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
489 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

Just a bit concerned my son has been ripped off at Siem Reap Airport.

Unfortunately, my advice and the Vietnam Embassy in Canberra were incorrect in saying that a Multi Entry Visa would not be required for their return to Vietnam as they would not be leaving HCM airport only catching a flight straight through to KL and onto Melbourne.

He is now on his way on Angkor Cambodia Air but only after paying USD$180 each for an "Express Visa" which will be given to him on arrival at HCM Airport by 'someone' holding a sign with his and his girlfriends name....

They have absolutely loved their Vietnam and Cambodian experience I would hate to think it may well be ruined by a scam... I am trying to be optimistic and hope the Vietnam Airline staff member is being honest and it will be a good outcome...

Don't suppose some one can ease my concerns?

worried baddles

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

No I doubt if he has been scanned, he definately needed a multi entry visa so what he has to pay may questionable, but lets face it he had no alternative

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

It is unclear from your posting if your son spent any time, no matter how short, in Vietnam before departing Vietnam for Cambodia.

But if he did and your son entered Vietnam on a single entry Vietnam Visa -then left the Vietnam to enter Cambodia then, the4n most certainly his original Single Entry VN visa was used up on exiting Vietnam to leave/fly etc to Cambodia.

This subject is an FAQ on both the Cambodia and the Vietnam Forums for those that care to search for it.

Best regards. Ian

Camp Kampong Chhnang/Andong Rossey

Edited: 2:14 am, November 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

I wish that they would give the Visa's a big flick,

Just another revenue.

Looks like he has not been ripped.

Just the way it is.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

If he is truly transiting, meaning not clearing immigration in Vietnam, then no visa is required assording to my information. But it sounds like he's maybe using AirAsia? In which case he'd have to check in, and to do that he'd have to get to the check in counters, which are on the outside of the secure area so he'd need to go through immigration. So he'd need a visa.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

I also would have thought if he was just transitting at the airport then he wouldn't need another visa but as he has already paid I would just forget about it and put it down to experience.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
489 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

Angkorlad,

They spent around 10 days in Vietnam and then 5 in Cambodia.

The advice from Vietnam Embassy in Australia was that they only needed a Single Entry Visa.

Their flight was with Cambodia Angkor Air to HCM and then with Air Asia to Melbourne.

Wont need the FAQ's section on this issue anymore as it will certainly be something to remember and pass onto other travelers also.

FAQ's is usually the first place I go to here and on the Vietnam forum, as well as using the search option. But considering we checked with the Embassy, I didn't think it was necessary.

cheers, baddles

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
489 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

fish2,

that was exactly the issue..... something that we can share with family and friends if they are doing the same thing.

Thank you for the explaination.

Off to the Airport to pick them up.....

btw... Big thank you to the very helpful Vietnam Airlines staff who helped them arrange the visa and met them in HCM... Well done!

cheers, baddles

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
748 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

Quick question.

Then, if we fly to Saigon, and then take the bus to Phnom Penh, we will need a special visa for Vietnam, we getting there "two times", and the single entry for Cambodia. Is that correct?

But, if we fly into Saigon, and then directly into Siem Reap, we dont need visa?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

BaldrickandBad,

You just answered your own question.

He entered Vietnam for ten (10) days then left Vietnam for Cambodia.

Ergo, he left Vietnam and his single entry visa was used up on leaving Vietnam. Self evident really.

To re-enter Vietnam he either needed a new Vietnam visa, which easily, quickly and cheaply obtained at either VN Embassy in Phnom Penh or from either of the two Vietnam Consulates in Cambodia located, respectively, at Sihanoukville and Battambang. This can be done either in person or through any reputable local travel agent as I have posted on many times this year. OR a dual/multiple entry VN visa in the first place.

Personally, I think your son was provided with excellent, even if costly service. The Vietnames can be very uncompromising on visa issues.

Best regards. Ian

Camp Kg.Chhnang/Andong Rossey

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has my son just been scammed at the Airport?

If the HCM - REP flight does not require check in in HCM then transit is possible. If you will need to go to the check in counter, which is the case when usin LLCs and can be the case when your tickets are booked separately, then you'll need a visa.