We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going home after dinner at Pub Street

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Going home after dinner at Pub Street

Hi - my friend and I will be visiting Siem Reap this coming December. Since it's just the 2 of us girls, is Pub Street still considered safe at around 10-11 PM? And would anyone know if there are tuk tuks that will take us back to our hotel (Le Meridien)considering it's quite a distance from town?

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going home after dinner at Pub Street

Hi 17Reese,

There are literally hundreds of tuktuks waiting around pub street/night market area that can take you back to your hotel. Even if you leave pub street at 3am you will still have no trouble finding one. I know from experience.

If you would like the name of a reliable honest tuk tuk driver I can give you his mobile number. Me and my family use him every time we go to Siem reap. Otherwise there will be tuk tuks outside your hotel that are recommended by the hotel. They will wait for you at the end of pub street until you are ready to go back to your hotel.

Have fun!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going home after dinner at Pub Street

Hi Emma,

Thanks for the info! Just wanted to be cautious because we won't have any male friends accompanying us. I'll get in touch with the tuk tuk driver you recommended. :)

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going home after dinner at Pub Street

Hi,

We got back last week, the name Pub St sounds like it could be notorious.... But it isn't. We felt it was safe and saw many lone female travellers and they all looked cool about everything and werent bothered. There's a big expat community too, so you won't stand out I'm sure. We didn't see any Hussling or hassling!! Have fun.

We also had a great tuk tuk driver, we ended up texting him or emailing him to pick us up and drop us off and didn't even bother to negotiate the rate as his fare was always so cheap.

There are some really great places to eat, although several kitchens close early - ish!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going home after dinner at Pub Street

Hi Mintymoo,

Thanks. I feel for more reassured and am now excited for my upcoming trip. :)

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
512 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going home after dinner at Pub Street

We'll also be in Siem Reap this December and as two women, feel reassured reading the replies.

Thanks so much.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,653 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going home after dinner at Pub Street

depending on where your hotel/guest house is, it is also quite safe to walk back after dinner. A tuk tuk should only cost you a $ or two.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going home after dinner at Pub Street

We saw loads of female travellers in Siem Reap as it's a popular backpacking destination, we were in Pub street most evenings and never though it was unsafe. You'll need a tuk tuk driver to visit the temples so you could hire the same guy to take you to restaurants and come back for you.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going home after dinner at Pub Street

I always walk back to my guesthouse, but there are dozens of tuk-tuks in the area. If you only have a 10-minute stroll, walk...

(I am a solo female travler, BTW...)

Edited: 5:47 am, November 09, 2012
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
648 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going home after dinner at Pub Street

Not to rain on the parade, but lately there have been periodic but persistent bag snatchings along the river and a couple of other spots in town, some victims were pedestrians, mostly cyclists. No one injured but losing your bag when on holiday is a drag. Pub street is no problem but if it's late, spend the $2 and grab a tuktuk to your hotel, there's no shortage of them. Or, put your money in your pocket and leave the bag at home, then walk where you like :)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going home after dinner at Pub Street

Wear a backpack, keep it strapped across both shoulders and don't walk too close to the side of the road. I have known Japanese people who have gone home with broken bones from having their shoudlerbags ripped from their bodies (bags were strapped across the chest) from moto bag-snatchers. If this worries you, you could easily catch a tuk-tuk home.

Edited: 7:55 am, November 09, 2012