We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

City Gems

Road 30

Tropieng Sez

Kokchok commune,

Siem Reap Town

In June 2012 whilst visiting the wonders of Angkor Wat, I decided to propose to my girlfriend. She thankfully said yes.

As we were in Cambodia we decided to buy the engagement ring there and then. We eventually found the above shop after visiting 4 other shops. The ring we bought, price USD 3500.00, was according to the shop staff and owner and proof of authenticity a genuine diamond.

On returning we got this valued for insurance purposes. It was then discovered that the 'diamond' was in fact zirconia and worthless.

When we contacted City Gems they denied it was a fake BUT said that they would refund USD 3150 (if it was not a fake then why would they agree to a refund ? You decide if they are con artists ).

The only way they would refund is if we sent the ring back to them. This we were not prepared to do as if they cannot be trusted to sell genuine items they cannot be trusted to say they received the ring.

As we paid by credit card ( City Gems said they would give better discounts if we paid by cash ! Again you decide if they are con artists ) I contacted my bank who took this up on our behalf. After nearly 3 months we were given a full refund.

There are many reputable jewellers in Siem Reap, but this is not one of them.

I have sent the above to many Cambodian tour operators.

Edited: 9:54 pm, September 28, 2012
SF
9 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

The ruby we bought in SR turns out to be fake as well. We are disputing the charge at the moment. The bank just told us that we needed to return the merchandise in order for the dispute to continue. Is this your experience with the bank? Our bank is in U.S.. Any advice that could help us move the dispute in the right direction will be greatly appreaciated.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

I would just do what the bank suggests, take ample phtos of the item prior to sending it, and save the postal receipts. It is useless to you anyhow, right?

St. Albert, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

We paid with a credit card issued from a Canadian bank. They are currently disputing the purchase with the Bank of Cambodia based on what was written on the guarantee and a certified appraisal provided by us. For a full refund we may have to send what we have back via the bank of course. Disputes can take months, I can update you with more info as it becomes available if you wish.

SF
9 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Thanks for the update. Please do post when progress is made. On top of disputing the charges thru credit card company, are you in contact with Cambodian Tourism or the Tourist Police?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Tourist police don't give a ruddy red rat's you-know-what about anything, not unless they're getting baksheesh. It is between the gem shop and you and your bank to solve this matter.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Bit harsh Maneki albeit a bit true. There's a new sheriff in town who has been getting rave reviews from local expats and tourists for helping folks who have had stuff stolen in any case, with a decent success rate in recovering stolen goods. He is apparently quite handy tracking down stolen mobiles that have a find-me feature configured. But your general point, certainly I bet in terms of this thread's issue, stands.

St. Albert, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

The dispute has been settled by the Bank of Montreal MasterCard division and our account has been credited for the full purchase amount. We are very impressed with the bank and we will continue to do business with them.

American Canyon...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Help please!!

I bought a gold bracelet from the city gems and now the color has faded. Its a fake one. Please help me by telling the procedure to get the refund. What about contacting to the tourist police there? Does anyone have a mail address of that store? Please help me! I am totally frustrated

Thank you!!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,795 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Your best course of action is to contact your bank if you paid by credit card - if you paid by cash you have absolutely no chance of getting anything back.

The tourist police are aware of the many jewellery scams in Cambodia and you will have no success there either.

Sorry, but it appears this might be a tough lesson on doing your research before buying jewellery in SE Asia

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: City Gems 'Jewellers' Siem Reap-Read Before Buying ANYTHING

Luckily, I have been using the same jeweler to have my own designs made for the past 6 years, I have never had any problems. Gotta find a reputable and honest gemologist.