We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap Temple Tour Itinerary

QC
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Siem Reap Temple Tour Itinerary

Hi! I will be travelling with my 69 y/o mother to Siem Reap in October. We could only spend 1 whole day to visit the temples, at most we could do it in 1 1/2 days as we will be flying back in the evening (10:30PM) to our country of origin.

Would like to ask for your opinion regarding our temple tour itinerary:

MORNING:

5AM sunrise at Angkor Wat

Back for breakfast at hotel (Siddharta, within Angkor vicinity).

Continue with temple tour starting at South gate of Angkor Thom,

Bayon, Phinea Nakas, Baphoun, Terrace of the Elephants,

Terrace of Leper King, Ta Prohm.

LUNCH (in forest, according to our guide)

AFTERNOON

Head out to Banteay Srei.

Sunset at Pre Rup.

Do you think the morning schedule is doable? If not, can you suggest which temples we can just skip? Or, are there must see temples that I failed to list down? I consulted this with several tour guides and 2/3 said better to just choose the major temples.

My other option is to continue with the temple tour on our own the following day and just hire a tuk-tuk to save on tour guide fees. My only concern is that we would have to pay entrance fees for another day which we would not be able to maximize.

Your suggestions would be most appreciated. :)

Happy Angkor Tour
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Asean Angkor Guide
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Angkor Guide Sam
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Pin Vannak - Private Tours
Multi-day Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap Temple Tour Itinerary

Hi,

I think that's very do-able. Although the morning seems like a lot, it's really only the central area of Angkor Thom and everything is very close together. Bantaey Srei is very nice in the afternoon light and sunset at Pre Rup is not a bad idea although it is a very steep and uneven climb up there.

The following day if you want another temple I would head to Preah Khan early.

cheers

QC
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap Temple Tour Itinerary

Hi Paulo. Thanks for replying. The sunset view is actually a choice between Phnom Bakheng and Pre Rup. I chose the latter bacause I read that it's less crowded and better to climb (flat plane) than the former. In your opinion, which one would be better suited for my 69 y/o mother?

Thanks again!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siem Reap Temple Tour Itinerary

I would not take my mum up the top of Pre Rup for sunset. It is a steep climb and coming down in the worsening light or the dark would IMO be quite dangerous, the treads are narrow and the riser higher than many stairs I've ever climbed. Why not grab a picnic and sit round the moat at AW - much more comfortable for a lady of your mum's vintage

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Siem Reap Temple Tour Itinerary

Suggest to continue with Tour of Angkor thom main temple after the sunrise instead of going back to Siem Reap for BF where you will lose atleast 1-2 hrs atleast.

If you continue temple tour of Angkor main temple which you can finish between 6-30am to 10pm folowed by Bayon & other temples inside the complex. Ta Prohm should not be missed .

Lunch inside forest ??? Don't imagine the Amazon thing but here I assume they will take you to some eatery inside the complex . Again let's not waste your time to go back to siem reap or other places outside temple complex for Lunch as you will be wasting another 2 hrs. (Packing your lunch or some fruits will be preferred)

You can skip Banteay srei as time will not be sufficient. If time permits let's visit left out temple or Banteay srei on next day.. Again you should have 3 day pass.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siem Reap Temple Tour Itinerary

If you are short on time, I would pack breakfast. After sunrise, it's a great time to go to Angkor Wat since the tours head back to town for breakfast. Sunrise was around 7am. I am probably wrong but we just waited so long and it was crowded.

When I was there last year, it looked like they were building stairs for Bahkeng. That area is packed for sunset. If you truly want to be there, get there early, the line can be pretty long.

QC
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Siem Reap Temple Tour Itinerary

Thanks Helen for that very helpful reply. Can I also ask if we can watch Sunset at Pre Rup without having to climb its very steep stairs? I was thinking of just looking for a flat plane to sit. :)

Thanks also to Inditrekker and kcheung for the useful tips! :)

7. Re: Siem Reap Temple Tour Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 13, 2013