We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Guide in Seam Reap

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orinda, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Tour Guide in Seam Reap

I would like to go ahead and line up a tour guide that someone has had a good experience with. Does anybody have any recommendations and contact names? Thanks.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,795 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Guide in Seam Reap

Your hotel is the best place to do this. they will have a list of guides they can recommend and if things don't work out you have some re-course. You are likely to get flooded with posts from people recommending their newest best friend - read between the lines, check out their experience (one trip or several) how long a TA member etc

2. Re: Tour Guide in Seam Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:53 am, September 09, 2012
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Guide in Seam Reap

Dear Helen,

You ever never had a friend tour guide in Cambodia to recommend so you just have one way to recommend people to deal with hotel. If hotel run by local people that will be fine because you support local business and if run by foreigner you will not support individual business run by local people. Money you pay to hotel for guide not all go straight for guide. I don't know how much you will pay for a guide through with hotel but guide will get only 20$ a day only (for english speaking guide) from hotel.

How different between organise guide in advance and via hotel?

See these post before:

1-

tripadvisor.com/…41354434

2-

tripadvisor.com/…41547544

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,795 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Guide in Seam Reap

vannak... are you a guide?

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,864 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Guide in Seam Reap

Vannak t - you would do far better to try and see things though the eyes and experiences of well travelled international travellers visiting your country.

Whilst I personally encourage Khmers to participate in the many and varied discussions on these forums; the forums exist primarily for international travellers and to serve their questions and expectations as to standards of safety and service.

I have absolutely no idea as to your personal international travel experiences to or within the developed countries of the world but your postings tend to indicate a very narrow perspective of international travel and tourism.

Personally, even though I have been actively involved in Cambodia for several decades now, there is no way I would engage a guide or motdop or tuk tuk driver that I have not met face-to-face or who does not come strongly recommended by my hotel/guesthouse. After all, my hotel/guesthouse is dealing with these people on a daily basis year round and receiving a constant stream of feed back from their house guests.

And, believe it or not, many hotel/guesthouses do NOT take any commission from the people they recommend as a service to their house guests.

Best regards. Ian

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Guide in Seam Reap

How beastly the bourgeois is especially the male of the species!

Manicus.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Guide in Seam Reap

Hi Ian, I will be in SR for a week in August and thought of going to PP but i have to be back in SR to catch my flight home. If you can give me some ideas on how to do this, that would be great. Also I contacted a tour guide after reading good reviews about him in TA, is that a wise move? Is it safe for a single female traveller in Cambodia and where can i find like minded travellers. Thanking you in advance, have a nice day

Edited: 9:06 pm, June 28, 2012
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Guide in Seam Reap

Hi prba - We had contacted a highly referred guide prior to our first trip to Cambodia - had numerous e-mails back and forth and thought we had a good understanding of what we needed and wanted for the three days we were going to hire him for. What a mistake - he spent most of his time on his phone setting up his social plans during our first two days - needless to say, we cancelled the third day that was planned (and since it was a short notice cancellation left payment for him at our guesthouse) - and instead spent that day with our tuk tuk driver arranged through the guesthouse. I agree with thmoore - see if your hotel/guesthouse can make arrangements for you - and meet in person prior to committing to make sure it is going to be a good match for you and how you want to spend your time.

vannak t - the guesthouse we stay at in SR never charges a commission for guides, tuk tuk drivers or drivers. Some may - but certainly not all.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Guide in Seam Reap

I'm not a tour guide yet but I plan to be come in the near future. Lynn how could you know your GH didn't charge a commission for guides and tuk tuk. You know behind the scene?

for guest house you will pay directly to guides or tuk tuk and later at night guide or tuk tuk might invite hotel (the person who call guide for guiding) to treat a meal with drink, karaoke or next day give kickback to hotel.

for famous hotel you will pay for guide directly to hotel and guide just get only voucher and guide will come to get payment later from hotel but guide can not get the full amount of the tourist pay to hotel at all. 5 stars hotels in here you will pay for an english guide range from 35$ to 60$ a day and guide get the average only 20$.

The people they have their own ideas to choose what they do and judge on comment of people before they decide to do.

My topic just don't want to focus on commission guide or driver give to hotel at all but I just want tourists think about booking a guide in advance because I always see all the veteran TA member in here always recommend people to deal with hotel later when they arrive at hotel.

Please tell me how is different between book guide in advance through internet and when arrive deal with hotel later.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Guide in Seam Reap

This is my commend posted before to say about disadvantage with deal with hotel:

-if you stay at hotel rank from *** the price will more expensive than usual. if you stay at 5* hotel the price will more expensive than usual 2 times or more than. example: one 5* hotel for English guide from 35$ to 60$ for a day and hotel pay to guide average only 20$.

-Hotels usually use guide from their relatives even used to have tourists complain to guide already but next time hotel still use the same guide for other guests.

-You can not set itinerary in prior with a guide at all. guides will meet you when tour start only (You don't know also for proper dress at angkor wat)

-You will be treated with water or towel during sightseeing by guide or driver if you show off them you like spending money and guide and driver will treat you very well with respect because guide and driver will expect for a tip after tour. If you show guide and driver like you are a stingy so guide and driver will not treat you so well because guide and driver know after tour they will get nothing beside their salary only.