We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes for Angkor Wat???

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Shoes for Angkor Wat???

I'm looking at picking up a pair of Keen Venice H2s for site seeing at Angkor Wat and in BKK, rather than lugging my hikers with me. Do you all think this will offer enough protection/support or do I need to bring my light weight hikers (which take up a lot of room in my bag)?

Here is a link to the shoes I'm considering: www.keenfootwear.com/women/veniceH2.html

Thanks!

Brunei
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes for Angkor Wat???

honestly dont stress!!!!70 per cent of people wore(thongs) flip flops.No way would I do that.Runners of any comfy variety are best.It is very dusty,and it can also be very muddy in 5 mins!!We were there a week and sore dust storms and then it also flooded.If people can manage in thongs you dont need any speacial footware at all..lol!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes for Angkor Wat???

If you plan on climbing to the top of temples as i did(it would be a darn shame not to as the view is so spectacular!) then I recommend a decent pair of walking shoes. I have some low-cut hiking boots as I was travelling through other jungle areas on my trip, and December was the cool season so I wasn't sweating in them. I also spent the better part of my 4 days in SR being transported here and there on the back of a moto, and it would have been damn foolish to wear flip-flops and risk stubbing a toe (or losing one!). There are lots of rocks/ruins to be reckoned with if you are to be visiting the outlying temples like Beng Mealea, and it would be silly trying to navigate them in sandals that weren't sturdy(also the toe protection is a very good idea.) I wore my little casual sandals for walking around town. The Keens are very cool shoes and are recommended by many travelers who enjoy hiking. I will be purchasing a pair for my next trip to Southeast Asia!

England
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoes for Angkor Wat???

I wore trainers while visiting the temples and found them to be find. I was able to climb to the top and see the wonderful views etc with no problem.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoes for Angkor Wat???

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm thinking that I'll stick with the Keens, since they have toe protection, won't be too hot, and don't take up much room in my bag.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoes for Angkor Wat???

I just came back from the temples and saw a few Japanese and Korean tourists climbing the steep stone stairs on heels...which is quite a feat. So just wear what you find comfortable and don't fret too much over it. :-)