We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a toddler to Siem Reap

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taking a toddler to Siem Reap

We are visiting SR next week along with our 19 month old daughter. Has anyone else had any experience of taking kids here? Daughter has spent many happy hours toddling round Ayutayya but I am guessing that Angkor is a rather different matter. Best for mum and dad to take it in turns? We have booked a hotel with a pool so she can be occupied by things there for some of the time. Also, what is the safest way to get there (been reading about lack of driving licenses and so on - motos less dangerous?) We live in Bangkok so we have, I hope, realistic expectations, but would really value any comments or suggestions from those in the know.

Chatham...
Level Contributor
109 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a toddler to Siem Reap

I can't imaginr that it would be a pleasant tour for parents with a toddler. It is always very hot; maybe more humid than Bangkok. And the ruins require a lot of climbing and stepping over broad sills in the various rooms of the ancient temples and palaces, making it impossible to use a stoller. Usually people tour for 3+ hours in the morning, retire back at the hotel for lunch, a swim and a rest; then return in the later afternoon, after the high heat of the day has passed. I can't imagine either carrying a toddler in that heat, or a child being able to do it on their own. Good luck!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a toddler to Siem Reap

Well, that was a very negative response, but I can understand it, as it will, indeed, require a bit of planning; however, I have no doubt that it can be done, and you'll probably be glad that you did it. For myself, I think travelling with young children can be quite delightful, and the only REAL difficulty I can see here is that many of the temples are almost impossibly steep, and it's hard enough even to WALK up to the higher levels, much less carry a toddler; and, as for a stroller.... well, forget it!

But if you have a good driver/guide, then this problem is easily circumvented. Not only will he know the best places to take you where climbing is not such a problem (around Ta Prom, for instance), but, if he speaks reasonable English, he will make a good companion for whoever waits in the tuk-tuk with the baby while the other one goes on a quick climb to the top. If you trust him, you might even leave the baby in his charge for a few minutes, while you both went to have a climb up those dreadful staircases (though I realise that's not such an easy thing to suggest, especially when you're in a strange country!)

You might think that my last suggestion is a crazy one, and I'll probably get some negative feedback from outraged parents over this one, but I still think it's the best ides of all: why not hire a couple of local girls to go out in the tuk-tuk with you, and to amuse the baby while you go exploring in the hard places? Quite by accident, we ran into three local girls near the lake beyone Ta Prom; their names were Pha, Ta, and Uen, and they were all eleven years old. They took us on a free tour of the neighbourhood, and we spent over an hour in their company. I would have had no hesitation, at the end of that time, in hiring them to look after a baby for a short time over a two-or-three day period... they were delightful, responsible, and eager. I am sure you would run into any number of Ta's, Pha's and Uen's in your first day at Siem Reap, and they would sure appreciate the extra income for such a desirable job! Your baby would never be out of your site for more than fifteen minutes at a time, and I bet he/she would have the best time of the lot of you!

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Bangkok
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a toddler to Siem Reap

AlanJ, thanks very much for that. Not outraged at all by your suggestion, as living in Bangkok we are very used to friendly waitresses and shop assistants taking our daughter off to entertain her, so I will certainly bear in mind your idea.

Thanks again

PTW
Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a toddler to Siem Reap

I would not advise you to bring such a young toddler to SR. They nothing which a child can enjoy in Angkor or SR. Climbing those temple steps are already dangerous enough for adults and you should not subject your child to such dangers. Furthermore, it would be difficult for you to do the Sunrise and Sunset thing since it would not be easy to bring the child at such hours. If you must do these things, suggest you skip Sunset which is too crowded, not to mention the heat which can be quite demanding for adults. Anyway, if you must again, Good Luck. But for God's sake, do not leave your child with strangers. Its not them (the child minder), but the others who might exploit the situation.