We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angkor Wat

SIem Reap
1 post
Save Topic
Angkor Wat

During Khmer New Year Angkor Wat cover by tourist both local and foreigner.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Angkor Wat

So? What is newsworthy about this?

Rgds. Ian

Edited: 4:57 am, April 16, 2011
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Angkor Wat

I suspect he/she might mean that everyone who visits Angkor Wat during KNY may need to dress more respectfully. (ie no strappy tops or short shorts for the whole temple not just the Bakon) This is obviously something Khmers know but my guess is that many travellers may not. Just a guess, but useful info once deciphered none the less.

helen

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
227 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Angkor Wat

I think he might want to say on Khmer New Year, angkor wat will be flooded with tourists and local people. Tourist need this info as they may want to avoid visiting on this day with so many heads which will obstruct photography.

I will be heading to Siem Reap early next month too. looking forward to visiting the place for a second time.

Carmen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Angkor Wat

Hello carmencym,

Just the opposite I would have thought and as mentioned in several of my previous postings.

Angkor Wat in particular, as well as a few other temples, are the locale for many Khmer engagement and wedding group photos over Khmer New Year and is a great place for photography at this time.

In addition, as parts of Angkor Wat are still places of worship you will find many Khmers, especially the women, there in their finest Khmer blouses and silk skirts.

So, hardly a place to avoid if wishing to see and photograph aspects of the Khmer culture and way of life.

Best regards. Ian

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Angkor Wat

The best time at Angkor Wat is after sunrise between 06:00 to 08:00.

Caboolture South
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Angkor Wat

Yes after sunrise is the best time to go, and get a three day pass it is $40, or $20 a day per person, tuk tuk drivers cost $6 per person, per day,

its well worth it because once u have been u will wont to go back and its nice to take your time enjoying the Angkor,, and remember there are about 100 temples to visit and many to climb the stairs.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Angkor Wat

i was just there this week on a tour bus from vietnam i'd suggest reading up on the history of Angkor wat before you go there as i found my visit there quite boring looking at one ruin of a temple to another. Now having read more information on wikipedia i understand more about the history of the temple and the different temples that are there. I stayed at the Angkor City hotel which is a tuk tuk ride away from the temple. not a bad hotel to stay at and not far from Pub Street (10 mins by Tuk Tuk) about $3 each way. I'd also suggest carrying a small torch in your backpack or bag when travelling out at night as the power supply in cambodia is very unstable and you are plunged into darkness with no warning !! Also a big must !! is to carry a roll of TOILET PAPER or tissuies at ALL TIMES as i was fuming when i got caught out !!!

Also for the keen DSLR photographer i'd suggest a good wide angle lens (14-24) or equivalent to get some good shots ! and a 24-70mm or 70-200 for a good all round selection of lenses and a flash gun as some interior parts are dark with some fantastic carvings

8. Re: Angkor Wat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:29 pm, October 17, 2012
9. Re: Angkor Wat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, December 17, 2013