We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic info for first timer

Leicester
Level Contributor
455 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Basic info for first timer

Hi everyone, I`m really looking forward to my visit to Siem Reap in February and just need advise on a couple of things:

Are there any dress restrictions on entering the temple complex? I would hate to offend anybody unintentionally and from other posts it would seem like it gets pretty hot so I want to dress as comfortably as possible.

The other thing is how to charge batteries on a UK plug for my camera? It would be a nightmare to have so many photo opportunities and run out of power.

Thanks in advance.

England
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Basic info for first timer

Sybil

If you can afford it, I would suggest getting a guide and driver for all 3 days. Travelling by car makes life far easier on some of the unmade roads and having the air conditioning is a life saver. The guide is great because he will pass on a lot of information, not just about the attractions but the country itself.

Can't really say much about hotels. We stayed in Preah Khan hotel. This is a very comfortable hotel but is too far to walk into Siem Reap town. Motos (Tuk Tuks) are everywhere so getting into town was very easy (few dollors for a return trip). If I was to go to Siem Reap again I would try and book a hotel nearer to the town.

As for restaurants head down to the old market area, there are lots of places to eat there. We particularly liked 'In Touch',

'Little Budda' and 'Red Piano' but there are loads more serving all types of food.

Give me a shout if you need anymore info and I will tey and help.

Leicester
Level Contributor
455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Basic info for first timer

Are guides really necessary or is a driver and a good guide book enough. It would seem that a lot of the taxi/tuk tuk guys have a fair amount of useful information. I was thinking of having both just for the first day to get some idea of the history and background and then doing my own thing.

BTW, has anyone tried the tethered balloon flight and was it worthwhile?

I have seen some info on this and it looks like it could be interesting on a clear day but I may be concerned of the safety standards.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Basic info for first timer

Regarding your charger - Cambodia is 220v same as UK /IRL, but 2 vertical prongs ( II )Boots probably do a converter, but sometimes you have to wedge the plug into the wall socket because mine kept slipping out ( loose internals in the W/S ?)

If you get your ATM card upgraded to Maestro - maybe the Maestro logo is on the back of your card already - you can use it in PhnomPenh

http://www.canadiabank.com/english/atm.htm

anzroyal.com/importantinfo/…atmlocations.asp

Otherwise you can 'top-up' your Visa card and get cash from the bank or WesternUnion office.

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Basic info for first timer

PS Just heard there IS a new ATM to be opened in SiemRiep near the Cenrral Market on the 19th. Don't know the bank yet - prob the ANZ