We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

Philadelphia, USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

Any need for something like this at Angkor Wat? I'll be using bug spray too.

amazon.com/gp/…

Southern California
Level Contributor
530 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

If you're going out during the day (anywhere) you need a big brimmed sunhat (www.SundayAfternoons.com sells ones for men/women that cover the nape of your neck, that are not hot & lay flat in the suitcase) to protect you from the sun.

There were no mosquitoes anywhere during the day when we were there in late Feb., if you are traveling during the rainy season, there are more mosquitoes.

If you are visiting Angkor Wat dawn or at night, there will be mosquitoes, but you should be fine with DEET providing it's about 15%, weaker kinds are ineffective. You can also pre-treat your clothes with repellent before you put them on.

The only place there were mosquitoes during the day was in the Preak Toal Bird Sanctuary, in the remote area of the Tonle Sap Lake & in the service elevator of our hotel. LOL! But we were never bitten anywhere. Use almond oil as your skin moisturizer after showering, they don't like it.

Dengue fever mosquitoes are out during the day & malaria mosquitoes are out at night. If you are going out during the night, to rural areas or to jungle temple or river hikes, then you will need more protection.

Check out this article:

New form of malaria threatens Thai-Cambodia border -

…yahoo.com/s/ap/20091228/ap_on_he_me/when_dr…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,708 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

I have been three times in the rainy season when there are more mosquitoes than in the dry and a good DEET repellant is sufficient. A wide brimmed hat is more useful for sun protection but you absolutely do not need a mosquito net thing to cover your head and face. Contrary to what another poster said about 15% DEET, if you want good protection against mosquitoes then our tropics travel clinincs here at least advise 40% +. Perhaps you should check with your own local tropics travel clinic or CDC.

Have a great time!

Philadelphia, USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

Thanks for the info.

I just talked to my friend about the hat thing again and he clarified that he only wanted it for the ride in the tuk-tuk to the temples at sunrise when there were more bugs out. He was getting pelted in the face along the way!...haha. I'll manage without one.

Malta
Level Contributor
157 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

So do you put the repellant on your face as well?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,375 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

yes... and the back of your ears and the arch of your feet and if you have very short hair all over your head.

any exposed piece of skin should be protected with 40%+ DEET

and any exposed piece of skin should be protected with 40+ sunscreen during the day

and drink lots of water too

all common sense!

happy travels

helen

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

25% DEET is plenty, any more than that melts plastic, just think of what it 'll do to your skin. If the DEET concentration is less (15 % or so), re-apply more often.

I usually wear a baseball cap or nothing at all for the sun(I use sunscreen instead, sunscreen goes on first, if you are ab\pplying both that adn bug repellent). Since malaria isn't a problem in the immediate Siem Reap area, I don't usually bother with slathering bug spray all over my body, just on my legs as to avoid bites.

#1 is posting erroneous information, as dengue mosquitoes feed at all hours of the day, and the aedes mosquitoes (those that carry malaria) feed at dawn and dusk. Additionally, the "new form of malaria" is not new at all, and is simply mosquitoes becoming resistant to aretemesinin-based medications, thus your doxy, larium and malarone may not be effective in those areas.

Covering up is yoru best bet, forget shorts (they are tacky in Asia anyhow), and sleep under that mosquito net if provided in mozzie areas. Mosquito coils are usually provided at outdoor dining areas (not so common in Siem reap as malaria is not a problem there) and I usually carry my own if I am out on the veranda drinking beer in the evening. Avaiolable at all drugstores in Cambodia.

Safe travels!

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

Shorts are fine and look good in Asia, well for some people. So if you want to wear them please do so. Nothing worse then being buggered out by the heat. Mind you not exactly hot per say, just the humidity is the killer.

I don't ever recall ever being bit in Cambodia by a mossy. Course maybe they do not like me? ;)

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,375 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

Re shorts - I do not think Maneki is advocating wearing jeans but rather lightwieght cotton cargo length pants. Split the difference and go with something knee length. I also think 'shorts' (particularly of cheerleader shortness) are tacky and disrespectful given how modestly Khmer women dress.

helen

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

Helen is right, capri-style pants are fine, but nobody wants to see a barang's hairly legs, and women wearing short shorts or cleavage-bearing blouses is simply in poor taste in a country like that where people generally dress modestly.

Long pants also keep bugs and leeches off you and also prevent scratches foro rocks and brush, should yoube trekking. I wear synthetic fabrics that I purchase at mountaineering shops which are designed to wick away sweat and dry while on your body. While some people seem to prefer it, I never wear cotton, it absorbs sweat and takes forever to dry, and when it wrinkles it looks pretty shabby...

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito Net Hat at Angkor Wat?

Nah I'd stick with cargo/hiking shorts above the knee. I think this all comes down to personal taste and I have even seen khmers who wear the same (few of good mates who are guides). ;) Personally not a big fan of trousers, and I think at the end of the day, one should wear what one is comfy in.

So what Maneki likes to wear is far different then what others might want to wear. Let's leave it at that. ;)