We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
5 posts
Save Topic
Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

My partner and I are travelling to Angkor Wat in Novemeber and it is our first visit to the region. We have 3 days in the area and would like a guide who is knowledgeable of the history but also someone with a good sense of humour. Does anyone have any contacts?

What is the best way to get around the Siem Reap? We though of either hiring a taxi or a tuk tuk. What would be the average price to pay per day?

As we have never been there before any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mexico City
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

Hi Menara !! My family and I visited Angkor Wat last week.We extremely satisfied with our great holiday there because Angkor Wat and other temples in Angkor area are very amazing ancient archaeological wonder.

During our trip there,we had a great local tour guide in Angkor named Panha Ou,a friendly Cambodian young man. He is quite fluent in English,so helpful and very knowledgeable about Cambodia and Angkor history. He is highly recommended !!

If anyone need Tour Guide in Angkor,please contact him by email: ou_panha@yahoo.com

He is your best holiday assistance and history consultant

in Angkor !!

London, UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

Hi Menara, I'm in Siem Reap right now in the FCC, having had a hard day temple hopping! My guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. His name is Mr Sok Vuthy, his email address is sokvuthy024@yshoo.com.

He was happy to meet up at 5am and I'm sure how would have continued when I got back to the hotel at 6pm.

You'll have a great time, it's an interesting place which due to it's poverty will also make you reflect about yourself

Seattle, WA
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

Hi - my wife and I had a REALLY memorable time using Nok Kachhel ("Kachhel") as our guide. He is fluent in English, can drive you around the sites in his car in addition to being an "official" guide (you can simply use him as a driver as well), and perhaps most notably, Kachhel is an extremely sincere and nice person.

He is quite personable and will share stories of his life, growing up in the area, from before the times of Khmer Rouge.

Kachhel's email is: nokkachhel@yahoo.com,

cellphone: +855 (0)12 959409

Good luck.

Nathan (and Tracy), Seattle, WA

South Korea
Level Contributor
109 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

Best ways to get aound Siem Reap are by foot and bicycle. Bikes cost 2 dollars per day.

If you like biking, it's also a lot of fun to ride up to the temples. It's about a 10k trip. Drink plenty of water.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

We have just returned from a memorable few days in Siem Reap. There were three couples, all aged over 60.

We contacted a guide , as a result of reading these pages his name is Ouch Savoan (You call him Savoan). There they were at the airport, three of them with broad, expectant grins and their immaculate 3 tuk tuks.My friends were reluctant to use tuk tuks but agreed to be taken to our hotel.The ride there convinced them to hire these guys for the three days.Tuk tuks are great to use there and very safe as there is not much motor traffic.You see everything as you glide along and the breeze as you do so is so refreshing, far better than an enclosed car or bus.Their rate was US$10 a day each driver.For this they were at our beck and call from early morning to late at night.They recommended great eaing places, massage parlours, and even a bar for a nice cool dring in the afternoon after the touring..

We were all delighted with these three lovely gentle guys who expected very little.We all gave them US$15 a day each and they were over the moon with delight.

They all spoke English quite well and took care of us as though we were their old parents haha.

Savoan can be contacted on phone(855) 12698104 email ouch_svn004@hotmail.com.

By the way he only checks his email once a week as he is so poor he can't afford the internet cafe fee, which is absolutely dirt cheap.

Tell him I recommended him , he knows me as "Mr. Donald". My sirname is Flanagan.

England
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

Hi Menara

I would say the best way to travel to the temples is by car if you can. Some of the roads are hard going and I would not fancy going on them by Tuk Tuk or Moto as they are known there. Also the air conditioning will be a life saver going between sites. As for a guide we asked our hotel to organise one for with a driver. Don't know if this was the most cost effective way but we were happy with him. Cost was $25 each a day.

As for Siem Reap itself Moto is fine. Or if right in the town itself walking is good.

Hope this helps and I'm sure you will have a great time.

paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

I traveled everywhere by motorbike so i wouldn't think of any road where you cannot take a tuk tuk. Better than an enclosed car in my opinion. The tuk tuk i think is around 10 to 12 dollars a day. I was on my own so for me a motorbike was cheaper.

Boston...
Level Contributor
512 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

transport depends on what kind of experience you like. Personally I really really appreciated having the airconditioned car in between the temples and it made the entire day more pleasant. But some people will like the more authentic and low key way of seeing the place with a motor bike or tuk tuk. Keep in mind if you get a guide, a car is nice re: space...

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Guide/Transport for Angkor Wat

Having just returned, I went to Angkor Wat one day by A/C car and one day by tuk-tuk. The latter was by far the more enjoyable. The day before you want to go, you can get anyone on the street ($10) for the day to pick you up in the morning and take you around. Try out his English by speaking with him. If you like him, hire him. If not, ask someone else who speaks better English.