We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report March 10-15th - LONG!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
319 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report March 10-15th - LONG!

I want to thank everyone on this forum who took the time to answer my questions while planning our trip. We loved Cambodia and had a fantastic trip, so hopefully this trip report can help someone else!

We spent 5 days in Siem Reap as part of a 3 week trip to Cambodia and Thailand. We flew from Bangkok via Bangkok Airways using the Discovery Air Pass - we also flew Bangkok to Phuket and had 6 flights total, so this ended up being the cheapest way when I compared prices. BA was a really good airline. If you have a layover or get to the airport early either in Bangkok or Siem Reap there is a free lounge with snacks, drinks, and internet access - this is for all BA passengers, not just business or first class. They also served a substantial snack on all flights. They have a pretty strict luggage weight limit, but if you join their frequent flier program you get an extra 10 kg or so allowance.

We did get the Cambodia e-visas before we left. We used the official site and had our visas within 24 hours for $25 US apiece. When we arrived at the Siem Reap airport we bypassed the visa line, went straight through immigration and were the first ones out of the airport at 9:00 AM.

We stayed at the Palm Village Resort - www.palmvillage.com.kh/ , which we enjoyed and I will post a review for that later. They sent a car to pick us up from the airport and the resort was only a few minutes away on the edge of town. We hired a car to take us around for the rest of the day –rate was $25/day. We were able to visit the Silk Farm (free admission) , Artisans D’Angkor (free) and the War Museum ($3 pp). The Silk Farm and Artisans were definitely worth a visit but we thought the landmine museum was more interesting than the war museum. There is also a shop in the airport that sells items from the silk farm and Artisans for the same prices if there is something that you regret not buying, although there is less selection. Have your camera ready on the road out to the silk farm to take pictures of all the crazy things that people are able to balance on the back of a motorbike or bicycle!

We researched guide recommendations from this site and decided to use Ponheary Ly, who works as a guide and also heads a foundation to help poor Cambodian children go to school by providing uniforms, books, food, salaries for teachers, etc. I saw on the foundation website – www.theplf.org - that she takes tourists to visit schools where they can purchase and serve meals to the kids, bring clothing donations, or teach English among other things. We thought this was definitely something that we wanted to do, so we booked her for 4 days via email – lyponheary@yahoo.com - before our trip. She always replied within a day or two and answered all of my questions. We absolutely loved Ponheary and by the end of the trip we felt more like she was a good family friend than a hired guide. After hearing her stories about the things she lived through during 30+ years of war and now seeing her generosity and tireless work with the kids, we think she truly is one of the most amazing people we have ever met. We highly recommend her as a guide!!

We purchased 3 day passes, and I had read several temple viewing itineraries before we left and made a list of the temples that interested us – I gave these to Ponheary and she worked out a schedule. I was surprised at how much we were able to see and not feel rushed. I think it was partly because tourist numbers are down this year, so we felt like we had a lot of places almost to ourselves and didn’t have to wait for crowds to pass. I’ll list our basic itinerary below – we did take about a 3 hour break around noon each day to have lunch and go back to the hotel to swim and cool off.

Day 1: Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Bayon (**favorite), Baphon, Terrace of the Elephants, Phimeanakas, and Prasat Suor Preat. We also stopped at one of the schools in Siem Reap that Ponheary works with as they were installing a solar panel system to power laptops, lights and fans, and that was the day that they were firing them up. Prior to this the school had no electricity.

Day 2: Terrace of Leper King, Preah Khan, Neak Pean, Ta Som, Mebon, PreRup, Banteay Kdei, Ta Prohm, and Phnom Bakheng. Phnom Bakheng is a temple on the top of a hill that you can climb to view the sunset. It is about a 30 minute walk up a moderate hill with a really good view of the area. It wasn’t a great sunset that day, but still worth the climb.

Day 3: Sunrise at Angkor Wat, Banteay Srei (**other favorite – amazing carvings), and Kbal Spean – this is about a 40 minute hike up a trail in the jungle – wear good shoes – to see the carvings in the riverbed during the dry season. We wanted to spare Ponheary’s knees, so she didn’t climb with us, but there was a worker at the top who showed us where all of the carvings were. If you go on your own, look for a worker (he had a uniform on with the company name) to show you around – it looked they have someone stationed up there, probably to prevent theft/damage. We gave him a tip afterwards because we would have missed a large portion of the carvings if he hadn’t shown us. In the afternoon we went to Tonle Sap lake and Chong Khneas village – I had read that this was the area that was very touristy, but we only saw a few other tourist boats. We thought it was fascinating and if we’d had more time I definitely would have wanted to see other areas of the lake.

Day 4: We ventured out to Koh Ker (about 2 ½ hours outside of Siem Reap) to visit the temples and the school there. The area is extremely poor – there isn’t much tourism yet and few jobs, so this was the school that Ponheary had suggested we purchase a lunch for. It was a very rewarding and humbling experience – the PLF provides rice for the kids in the morning, but that is often the only meal that they have each day, so the kids just ate and ate and ate when we were serving them lunch. My husband and I both agreed that this was one of the best experiences we have ever had on a trip. After lunch we walked through the village to the Koh Ker temple and visited the other temples in the area. They haven’t been restored yet, so still have vegetation growing on them and are more natural than Angkor Wat. I don’t think we saw even 10 other tourists there. We went to the land mine museum ($1 pp?) and Beng Melea on the way back.

On the last day our flight didn’t leave until 2:00, so we decided to rent bikes ($3 apiece from our hotel) for a couple hours in the morning. This ended up being a lot of fun because we got a much different reaction from the locals than we did when we rode by in a tuk tuk. When we rode by on the bikes people would come out of their houses to wave and say hi, kids would pedal like mad to pass us and wave – no one had so much as given us gave us a glance when we were in the tuk tuks.

Restaurants we ate at were Viroth’s, Sugar Palm, Red Piano, Amok, Khmer Kitchen and the Blue Pumpkin (4 times - best ice cream I think I’ve ever had, esp Mango!). All were very good. Prices were anywhere from $3-6 for most entrees.

Sorry, this ended up being very long! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Siem Reap Airport
Siem Reap Airport
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Palm Village Resort & Spa
Palm Village Resort & Spa
284 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
War Museum Cambodia
War Museum Cambodia
1,538 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat
39,715 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Angkor Thom
Angkor Thom
7,784 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Terrace of the Elephants
Terrace of the Elephants
1,321 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Phimeanakas
Phimeanakas
194 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Preah Khan
Preah Khan
1,900 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Neak Pean
Neak Pean
546 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ta Som
Ta Som
577 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Banteay Kdei
Banteay Kdei
585 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ta Prohm
Ta Prohm
16,270 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Phnom Bakheng
Phnom Bakheng
589 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Banteay Srei
Banteay Srei
6,426 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Kbal Spean
Kbal Spean
927 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Tonle Sap Lake
Tonle Sap Lake
1,970 Reviews
Viroth's Hotel
Viroth's Hotel
1,051 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Sugar Palm
The Sugar Palm
1,485 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Red Piano
The Red Piano
2,289 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Amok Restaurant
Amok Restaurant
974 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Khmer Kitchen Restaurant
Khmer Kitchen Restaurant
3,484 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Angkor Doors
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Angkor Guide Services
Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Keath Angkor Tours
Private Tours, Motorcycle Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Archaeology Tours
Kampoul Adventure Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Trip Report March 10-15th - LONG!

From Lonely Planet's online guide-

Malaria

"This serious and potentially fatal disease is spread by mosquitoes. If you are travelling in endemic areas it is extremely important to avoid mosquito bites and to take tablets to prevent the disease developing if you become infected. There is no malaria in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and most other major urban areas in Cambodia, so visitors on short trips to the most popular places do not need to take medication. Malaria self-test kits are widely available in Cambodia, but are not that reliable."

I am still wondering about the fake mosquito repellent, Jim. Please enlighten me,as in my 20 + years of traveling over there, I have never heard of it...

Mentioned in this post
Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh
Cambodia
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
499 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Trip Report March 10-15th - LONG!

Oh oh

here we go

same ol'e

same ol'e

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Trip Report March 10-15th - LONG!

Fake Nikes.Reeboks etc

Fake Gucci etc clothing.I'm wearing one now

Fake brand watches.

Fake prescription drugs.

Fake malaria meds.

Fake pet drugs Advantage etc.

Copy DVD's.

Copy CDs.

Fake brand toothpaste.

Adulterated milk formula.

You name it, someone's copying it for a profit in China/Thailand.

I have no known proof of fake Deet products.

The point I was making was to buy your meds at home where the possibility of buying counterfeit product is much less.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Trip Report March 10-15th - LONG!

Not quite there Coopie, Just trying to highlight the need for travellers to buy from reputable sources at home.

Copying is a huge and developing problem , with counterfeiters moving into all sorts of drugs, meds, and other consumer preparations.

'The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that counterfeit drugs range from less than 1% in developed countries to over 30% in some developing countries.';

And it's getting worse.

fda.gov/oc/initiatives/counterfeit/qa.html

Siem Reap
Level Contributor
507 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Trip Report March 10-15th - LONG!

Jim is spot on about fakes and copies, it is huge problem. One of the reasons why some Asian countries have such cheap accommodation is because of the inferior products the owners use to maintain the premises. Obviously labour cost takes a big part of accommodation been cheap but copies and fakes also do. Owners use cheap products to keep their costs down so they can sell rooms at cheap prices!

Here are a few more things to add to Jim's list of copies and fakes:

Copied - Electric Extension leads!

Fake - Generators

Fake - T.vs

Copied - Medical thermometers

Copied - Motorbikes!

Copied - D.v.D players

Fake - Designer rucksacks

Fake - Shoes

And they is lots more......

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Trip Report March 10-15th - LONG!

When I visit my friends in laos they wan tme to take them shopping at the markets to buy them clothes and shoes, but I refuse to waste my money on that cheap cr@p from China. Instead, I bring them well-made items from Japan that will at least last more than a year!

sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Trip Report March 10-15th - LONG!

Hi mnmsb,

Your trip report is fantastic, thank you.

My husband and I are going to be in Siem Reap on May 3rd. We arrive at SR airport at 12:40(lunchtime) and will be staying at the Day Inn Angkor. We have a full afternoon to explore.

On the 4th May we have one full day. Then we fly out at 2pm on 5th May.

This is my possible itinerary:

3rd May:

Angkor Thom, Bayon, Terrace of the Elephants and Terrace of the Leper King.

Elephant ride up to Phnom Bakheng for Sunset

Angkor Village Hotel/Aspara Dinner and Dance Show

4th May:

Sunrise at Angkor Wat.

Back to hotel for breakfast

Bantay Srei

Lunch at Kmer Kitchen

Angkor Wat

Ta Prohm

Dinner at Viroths

Angkor Night Market

5th May:

I am so confused!!!! Should I try to fit in Tonle Sap?

????

fly out at 2pm

Would appreciate your input.

ps I have booked a guide over the net who teaches English at a local school 2 days a week and guides the rest of the week. He seems happy to do whatever I suggest.

thanks

brownie

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
angkor
angkor
19 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Angkor Thom
Angkor Thom
7,784 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Terrace of the Leper King
Terrace of the Leper King
531 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Phnom Bakheng
Phnom Bakheng
589 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Angkor Village Hotel
Angkor Village Hotel
580 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat
39,715 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ta Prohm
Ta Prohm
16,270 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Angkor Night Market
Angkor Night Market
1,372 Reviews
Siem Reap, Cambodia
28. Re: Trip Report March 10-15th - LONG!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, October 24, 2009