We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 full day is enough to visit Angkor IMO

Scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
1 full day is enough to visit Angkor IMO

I visited SR and Angkor complex last month.

I had planned to spend 1 full day in Angkor to visit the main temples but the response I got on the forum to my suggested Cambodia itinerary was that I would need 2-3 days minimum.

In my opinion this is not true, unless you are very, very interested in temples.

I went to Angkor Wat for sunrise, Angkor Thom complex, Ta Phrom, travelled to Banteay Srey, visited a shooting range, returned back to Preah Khan and Angkor Wat all on the same day. I returned to hotel between 3-4 pm.

I did not rush my visits to any of the temples and stopped for lunch, drink stops etc. I felt that I saw the "highlight" temples and chose not to buy another day pass for Day 2 to visit the less "rated" temples.

If you have limited time in Cambodia or SR, I feel that 1 day is plenty. I do not understand how a typical western tourist could spend 3+ days visiting the main temples. If you want to visit the temples at a more leisurely pace 2 day would be adequate.

Since I had booked a driver for 2 days, I visited Tonle Sap and the floating villages which I enjoyed.

los angeles
Level Contributor
539 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 full day is enough to visit Angkor IMO

which floating village(s) did you visit? WE will be there soon and i'm interested in current info on water levels for travel to Kamphong Phluck.

thanks.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 full day is enough to visit Angkor IMO

Gee, Chris, sounds like you just breezed on by. Guess you aren't much into photography, or exploring the temples and having a good look, and absorbing the history. Too bad. I spent 4 days there a few years back and will go back for a week again this December. Truly magnificent!

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 full day is enough to visit Angkor IMO

Each to their own! If we all enjoyed the same things the world would be a boring place!

We probably covered about 2 temples in the time it took you to do all of those! lol

and even though we spent around 7 days at temples in the area, we werent templed out and I was planning my next trip whilst on the plane home! - there are so many more I didn't see, and wish I had!

Scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 full day is enough to visit Angkor IMO

I went to Chong Khneas (the nearest floating village to Siem Reap).

I was encouraged to go to Kampong Khleang but I was happy with what I saw at Chong Khneas.

I read on another post that the water level is steadily rising.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 full day is enough to visit Angkor IMO

there is so much to see and i know a lot of people would be happy to breeze through.same as the floating village can be a one or 2 hour visit or a half day visit,or even a full day.but i like to chat with the locals,ask questions,visit schools,temples,mountains,rural areas ,i would recommend at least 3 days in siem reap.its a long way to come for just the one day but i guess better than nothing,

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 full day is enough to visit Angkor IMO

Hard to believe but I guess Grizzwalds are all around. :) I guess I'll do Scotland in about a 3-hour trip (lunch included). :)

7. Re: 1 full day is enough to visit Angkor IMO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, October 01, 2009