We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
los angeles
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

anyone with advice on footwear to visit the temples in rainy season? I have done a search and gotten much advice including purchasing Keens closed toed, waterproof sandals, which i did.

Just trying to figure out if i should also bring sneakers for visit during July rainy season.

Other threads said there was a lot of mud.

Anyone with advice? thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
851 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

I would not bring sneakers, as they'll just get muddy and, with the humidity there, will never dry. Plus, you don't need them: the Keene sandals should do you fine.

For a second pair of shoes, you could buy plastic clogs in one of the markets in Siem Reap for next to nothing, and just rinse them off at the end of each day.

porto
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

I was there in late May, with some rain, but nothing dramatic: it rains, then comes the sun.

I wore crocs,that you can easily wash at the end of the day, but i think that any washable ruber shoes are good.

You will love it whatever shoes you wear

Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

I was there a few weeks ago, and wore closed toed Keens. When it rained and turned into a muddy soup I just rinsed the sandals off and they dried really fast. No need for sneakers. Have a great time!

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

Coincidentally I had been pondering exactly same question yesterday as we wil be in Siem Reap early August. Is there any reason for the closed toe suggestion as opposed to similar thing with open toe ?

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

Closed toe prevents injury better. The ground is uneven, with rocks, tree roots, easy to kick/trip over.

shrewsbury, england
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

We wore trainers when we did the temples last July. Almost every day around 2pm it would absolutely pour down. Our trainers got so wet each day that they didnt have chance to dry out. They grew mould!!! and we had to throw them away :-(

The rain is so torrential our clothing was literally wringing wet. ...Go with the waterproof sandals. ...We had waterproof trousers and jackets aswell, but the rain was so heavy our clothing underneath still got wet!Its fun though! You hear the rain thundering towards you before you actually get to see it!!!

New York, NY
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

i just ordered a pair of keens based on recommendations from people on here and elsewhere, so thanks to all who've shared their knowledge!

keeping with the clothing theme, does anyone have a favorite brand of waterproof windbreaker to recommend? i am going to be in siem reap in august and have heard that it will be hot and humid, so i'm looking for something ultralightweight, but that will also keep me dry in the downpours.

also, for those who've been before, how bad are the mosquitos in august? i know it's rainy season and will be taking anti-malarials, but obviously if it's going to be super hot and humid i won't want to be in long sleeves and pants all the time if it's really not necessary.

all advice welcome. thanks!

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

when it rains it normally is just a huge downpour and if caught out you will get soaked.raincoats ect wont do much plus it is hot,a good time to cool off a bit is when its raining so getting wet is not really a concern u will dry fairly quickly anyway.personnally i wear jeans and boots most times but i was born in darwin so dont really feel the heat,infact cambodia is cooler than darwin anyway.as for mud,the country dries quickly so can advoid a lot of mud by walking around the mud holes.

los angeles
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

Since I just returned last night from Vietnam/Cambodia, i will answer my own question about footwear in the rainy season. First of all, we were there the first week of July and it hardly rained. And when it did, it was for about 30 minutes or so in the late afternoon -- but in that 1/2 hour it did get muddy.

I wore closed-toe Keens and was happy to have them for the good traction and for the one afternoon of mud we encountered.

One day I wore them with socks, just to be sure i didnt' blister and also because it was very dusty.

One day I wore sneakers just to have a change. I found in the heat and humidity it was nice to change shoes so my feet got rubbed in different places!

My boyfriend wore good walking sandals with open toes and good traction and was fine.

I did have windbreaker and travel umbrella. Used the umbrealla occasionally in both Cambodia and Vietnam. The windbreaker (very light rain jacket) i could have done without, but in a downpour I would have been happy to have it.

we were just really lucky with the weather. It wasn't even particularly hot!

We took old sneakers and planned to throw them away, figuring they would be trashed and we'd need the room in our suitcase. But the sneakers held up fine and we were able to squish all our purchases in our luggage, so they did make it home.

I will post full trip report soon!

pHNOM pENH
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: footwear for visiting temples in rainy season

One thing i would like to mention here , good footwear is very important in tropical conditions as you can get some very serious foot infections through broken or abraised skin quite easily due to water borne bacteria and fungae . Should you suffer any of this type of injury i would suggest you start treatment IMMEDIATLY , a friend of mine has been suffering from a fungal infection for 4 months now becuase he thought a small cut on a toe was not that drastic .