We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
safety

I might be travelling to siem reap with 2 kids (aged 8 and 11) and an abled elder aged 65. All of us girls. Just wanted to know if it's safe. (no harassment? or the like) We're spending 4 days and i have already set everything (hotel, tours, flight)...

btw, am in my late 30's

thanks.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

We had no problems with safety of any sort (husband and me, 40s and daughter 10). What kind of harassment do you mean? Of course, we encountered many children who wanted us to buy postcards or guidebooks or beads. They were friendly kids, and clever about making jokes and fun to talk with. We walked around town at night and took tuk tuks at night, no problems...just fun.

I would not anticipate any problems at all. Just travel smart as you would anywhere else.

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

The most harrasment you'll get is "lady, you buy my postcards/bracelets/wooden carvings/books" and "you want tuktuk"

Siem Reap is a very safe place. Take the precautions you usually would, dont take a wallet full of cash out with you, flash the valuables etc

If you want to buy things from the kids, save it till the last day. The kids have an uncanny memory, and will find you and inevitably say "lady, you said you'd buy from me"

Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

I just returned from a vacation in Thailand with 3 days in Siem Reap. Other than the fact that I found out that a grenade was thrown into a crowd this past week at a Cambodian New Year celebreation 50 km north of Siem Reap, I personally found it very safe.

Although there were some fairly agressive beggers and vendors as pointed out, I think that I would be more concerned about the mosquitoes and the heat. I brought DEET based repellant and applied liberally, I still received many bites primarily due to the profuse sweating due to the heat. The temperatures were well above 35 Celcius with over 80% humidity and it is not even the hot season yet. Even though the mosquitoes are not out during the day, venturing into the shade while in more jungle covered ruins and at restaurants at night may subject you to them. Bring lots of water (at least 1 litre per child per half day outing) for kids since they tend to overheat more quickly than adults and have a tendancy not to drink enough fluids.

You should know also that the main hospital near our hotel had a big sign out front warning about Dengue fever outbreaks and local treatment. There seemed to be quite a few people in front of the hospital waiting to go in one morning when we passed by. Most were locals who seemed to have travelled in from rual areas. A little unnerving but I think that if you take the necessary procautions, you should be safe.

Ankor Wat and surrounding complex is stunning and awe inspiring. We felt that given the risk, it was worth it.

CanTrekker

pHNOM pENH
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

Skeltoline is one of the best repellants to use for mosquitoes , the Dengue mosquitoe is more prevalent during daylight hours , it is black with yellow stripes , I do not use repellants and have never had a bite , i do not wear perfumes .Should you get bitten by a Dengue , the symptoms are severe headaches with aching body , something similar to flue there is no cure other than rest .

5. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:32 am, September 26, 2009