We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Angkor Wat - is 2 days enough?

ny, ny
Level Contributor
27 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Angkor Wat - is 2 days enough?

We are planning a trip to Angkor Wat at the end of March and will arrive in Siem Reap from Saigon. We will have one full day of sightseeing in Angkor Wat and the next day will will have almost a full day but will be flying back to Saigon that night. Does anyone have any advice on whether that is enough time?

Any thoughts are appreciated - thanks very much!

Sydney
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Angkor Wat - is 2 days enough?

Hi leecylee,

The simple answer to your question is best put withthe philosophical answer "How long is a piece of string ?". Depending on your level of interest in history, architecture, flora and fauna, and ethnography (the study of differing native cultures) you could spend an eternity in the region. Siem Reap and the temples around Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, and the Temples which radiate upwards of 100 kilometres from that point are all part of the various Empires which make up the rich and fascinating history of the region.

If you are a "power tourist" in a hurry who simply wants to see the top attractions and then rushes off to the next place on their list you could probably do an abridged "highlights tour" in 4 full days, provided that you arrived early on the first day and hit the ground running, and left on the evening of the fourth day to allow for sightseeing that day. This would however be a great shame as you wouldn't be very relaxed. ( Yes, temple climbing is hard work and at the end of the day you can feel really tired ).

Then again, as you have joined "TripAdvisor, a site where it seems that most members are really more experiential visitors than tour groupies or travel junketeers, I suspect that you are wanting genuine advice. Truthfully I think that if you allowed somewhere between 5 and 8 days you would have time to see some very interesting things and also to relax a little and enjoy the experience. I think 7 to 10 days is a good option if you can afford the time.

This will allow you to take a variety of tours and side trips to places other than the temples. (There is a syndrome experienced by many short stay "power tourists" shortened as "NABTY" or "Not Another Bl**dy Temple...Yes ? !!"). This is caused by too much of a good thing in too short a time causing a sort of overwhelming sensory over-load, (Angkor can do that to you), and a subsequent malaise or boredom. To avoid this you really do have to pace yourself a little and stop and do other things now and then.

I agree with AskOksana that you should try to spend some time helping out the people of Cambodia. The local children and those at the school adjacent to the Roluos Group (about 12 kilometres or so outside Siem Reap and separate to Angkor Wat's main complex) are in need of help and very keen to learn. The Bhuddist Temple and Monastery adjacent to that Temple complex also helps the local community and helps to feed the local children. That may also be an option. apart from the fact that you will be learning from the children more than they learn fromm you this will earn you brownie points in time to come (i.e. very good karma), it will leave you humbled and deeply satisfied. (110% worth doing even if only for an afternoon).

I worked at several of the local and regional hospitals whilst holidaying as that is where I have skills. It was deeply rewarding and now I am getting together a team of people and as much equipment as I can beg borrow or purloin to go back this year and start something more permanent and regular in that area.

If you feel that you can not give of your time whilst there please consider making some contribution to a locally based organisation which will apply your donation carefully to helping the local community. It is hard to understand the situation of ordinary Cambodians until you go there and see for yourself, yet they accept their plight with great grace and charm and are so abundantly hospitable and generous to foreigners, despite their own "strained" circumstances, that it is almost embarassing

I will be very happy to offer some further suggestions if you think this will help. Go and have the time of your life, I am very hopeful you will enjoy the experience as much as I did.

Tony_C_Syd

12. Re: Angkor Wat - is 2 days enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:49 am, February 12, 2008
Bucharest
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Angkor Wat - is 2 days enough?

Two days are not enough. Take one day to see Beng Melea temple (complete in the jungle) ; you will feel like a real explorer- excursion last all day. Also spare one day for the floating villages on Ton Sap Lake - you will come with more than 100 pictures from this excursion only. Also the town of Siam Rep is very nice and you have excelent restaurants, bars, etc. You notice that I didn't mentioned the temples from Angkor Wat, Bayon, Na Trang, ....

I will end with some words our local guide told us: remeber that it was a time when London was only 30,000 inhabitants and Angkor 1 milion.

Have a nice trip. Andrei

NSW
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Angkor Wat - is 2 days enough?

Hey guys. I've gotten a lot of advice just reading your posts. Tony, I'm a medic in the Navy, and study Medical Science. Whilst I'm not a doctor/nurse, I've got plenty of experience. Do you think they'd appreciate/accept help from me in their hospitals given that I'm not a doctor or registered nurse?

Also, just a general opinion here is sought. I have a month in Vietnam/Cambodia etc. I was looking at doing a tour, but the more I read, the more I think I'll just wing it, and go with the flow. Is it better to fly into Siem Reap from Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh? For that matter, is it worth travelling by road/river (not sure what it entails) from SR to HCM? I actually only expected I'd spend a couple of days in SR, but you've all convinced me otherwise. So I'm thinking roughly a week there, and three weeks in Vietnam. Advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a person of contrasts - equally interested in; history, nature (photography of both), unusual cuisine, and also flat out adventure. I'd like to slow down and speed up several times during my holiday.

15. Re: Angkor Wat - is 2 days enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 19, 2009