We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Siem Reap

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Siem Reap

Hey everyone! Heading off to Siem Reap late March.. Would like to know if Malaria medication is really needed seeing that Im only going to be going to the temples.. Also if anyone has good sugestions for hotels close to Siem Reap center and ideas of great places to eat and to head out for a drink..

1. Re: Going to Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:43 am, January 04, 2008
Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Siem Reap

Hi,

I stayed at Steung Siem Reap hotel (www.steungsiemreaphotel.com/Accommodation.htm).

Great location: quiet but at 3 min-walk of the old market and pub street where bars & restaurants are.

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Siem Reap

Individual choice on the malaria meds. There is a theoretical risk in the temple area, altho not in siem reap town. But, if you do take them, dont forget that you still need to protect yourself against dengue fever, so you'll need a bug repellent with deet in during the day (for the dengue), and evening (for malaria).

Some chose to take it, others dont.

Numerous hotels to recommend in a range of price brackets - what price range are you looking at

New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Siem Reap

I stayed at the Princess Angkor and it was wonderful. They had beautiful teak furniture in the rooms.

I chose not to take any malaria medication and it worked out fine for me, but each person must decide for themself.

singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Siem Reap

just returned from siem reap. I did not take any malaria prophylaxis but yes, there ARE mossies there. I did slather on mosquito repellant though

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Siem Reap

Hi, just planning our third trip and took an anti malarial both times previous and will again. While the risk is slight it does exist and having had a parent with recurrent maleria after WW2 am not prepared to take any risk. As per previous posts you still need repellent against dengue and we took RID brand from home and it was fine. There are several anti maleria meds available and we found Malerone the best, it is the most expensive but no nasty side effect and only need to take it a few days prior and post the trip rather than the weeks required by the cheaper ones, best talk to your GP about this and make sure your hep A,B and other vacs are up to date.

There are so many hotels in Siem Reap it really depends on your budget but would not recommend the ones out on the Airport Road as too far to walk anywhere in the heat, there are ample tuk tuks but its a very dusty ride. There are also ample food choices in and around pub street. Have a great trip, its a fantastic country.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
603 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Siem Reap

As the previous poster mentioned, "pub street" in the centre of town is a good place to eat. All the tuk-tuk drivers know where you mean if you call it that. No shortage of options - a large variety of eateries at very good prices, and many offer 2 for the price of 1 happy hours for drinks (one we saw had happy hour from noon til midnight)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Siem Reap

I do not take malaria meds anywhere in Cambodia. Make sure you have good DEET based mosquito repellent. Malaria is not common in the Angkor Wat area.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Siem Reap

Hey again everybody!!

Thanks for all your posts and thoughts on what to do about malaria meds and hotel's.

Have organised my hotel and am going to stay at Steung Siem Reap as its location is very close to everything in the town plus it's also had great reviews on several websites.. Asiarooms have had the best price so far, so if anyone else is reading this use them for all of your hotel bookings in Asia.. I've picked up some great deals on hotels for my trip so far..

As for the malaria thing, have spoken to many people and its a 50-50 swing either way.. Have found out however that if you dose up on vitamin B its a good natural alternnative as it does something to the scent of your blood that scares off the mossies.. Also have been told that citronella wrist bands work well also instead of using repellants..

Anyway will let all you know how i went with it all once I get back..

Cheers and thanks again..

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Siem Reap

The vitamin B thing is nonsense, and citronella is swell, but I would not use it in an area with a high risk of malaria. (You'll need a concentration of 25% DEET or higher to keep them mozzies off your bod!) Citronella, Skin-so-soft with bug guard, Off, Odomos, Autan, etc. will be fine for Siem Reap.