We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

siem reap - just back - guide and horseback riding recs

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
siem reap - just back - guide and horseback riding recs

Angkor is amazing but be prepared for crowds at the must see temples. We really enjoyed our day with Dara as our guide. He is Ponheary's brother (she is a popular guide people have recommended before). We went to Beg Mealea, Kbal Spean and Banteay Srei. It was a great day and I highly recommend these temples. Of course he told us lots about the temples but we also learned a lot from him about current issues in Cambodia and the difficult history of the past 30 years. He is very interesting. He can be reached through Ponheary's email - ponheary@yahoo.com. Please also check out the great work the Ponheary Ly Foundation is doing. www.theplf.org

We also really enjoyed a 2 hour horseback ride near Siem Reap at the Happy Ranch. The horses are really nice and the ride is out to a little temple, through some rice paddies and by some little villages. It was very nice.

los angeles
Level Contributor
495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: siem reap - just back - guide and horseback riding recs

we have booked Dara in July. Did you only have one day at the temples? we have heard from this forum and others that one needs 2 or even 3 full days to see the top sights. It will be very hot when we are there so we understand we will be limited to morning and late afternoon to visit the temples. I am interested in how many days you were there and your advice on how much time needed. I don't want to be templed out, but also would like to see a floating village and school. thanks.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: siem reap - just back - guide and horseback riding recs

We got the 3 day temple pass and ended up spending 2 and 1/2 days at the temples. We had about a 1/2 day before and a 1/2 day after we spent at the hotel relaxing and in town. We didn't have time to go to Tonle Sap. I think you need at least a 3 day pass to see the main temples. My husband takes tons of pictures so we may not move as fast as others but I still think 3 days is the minimum. We didn't event get to everything that was on my list to see. By the end we were getting a little "templed out" but it was also the end of our trip so we were a little tired. If I remeber correctly it also takes about 20 or so minutes to drive from town into the main temple area so it cuts into time at the temples if you have to go back for a rest and lunch.

Also, you do not need to bing a picture for the 3 day pass. They take it there.

Another tip, reconfirm all your flight times. 4 out of 5 of our flight times in SE Asia changed (and that was on a variety of airlines).

Have a wonderful trip.

Southern California
Level Contributor
530 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: siem reap - just back - guide and horseback riding recs

Kimis,

When did you reconfirm your flights? the day before?

Did you have a hotel/airport transfer arranged when you arrived in REP?

How did you contact the REP hotel if your flight was late/changed?

I am concerned about this too, after buying our tickets in August

for next Feb/March we found many of the flights were changed

which caused up to have to rebook as connections were no

longer possible.

We are spending 6 nights in REP, 3 days main temples, 1 day remote temple, 1 day Preak Toal bird sanctuary & our arrival day nothing... I think the time depends upon how into Khmer culture & architecture one is... IMO the 3 night stay advised by most travel agents was way too short for us.

What time did you find the temples the most crowded & least crowded?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: siem reap - just back - guide and horseback riding recs

We tried to reconfirm each flight the day before departues for the flight but all the concierges advised to reconfirm the morning of the flight(none of our flights left too early). We had the concierge at the place we were at call the next place we were going to give them the updated times.

We stayed at the Hotel de la Paix and transportation to and from the airport was included in the package. Some people take tuk tuks to the airport but if you have a lot of luggage I don't think that's doable.

We never could make it to the temples for sunrise so I'm not sure how crowded it is then. It seemed like morning was the most crowded. There are lots of buses of French tour groups. We went to Angkor Wat right after lunch and it wasn't crowded but by the time we left in the mid afternoon large groups were coming in. We were told by Dara that Ta Prohm (my spelling may be off, the one with the tree roots covering some of the buildings) is least crowded after 4 or 4:30.

Have dinner at Khmer Kitchen. The food is fantastic and cheap.

usa
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: siem reap - just back - guide and horseback riding recs

if you want to visit the tonle sap lake and short of time contact tara riverboat. www.taraboat.com they picked us up family of 8 in air conditioned mini van at 4 pm we had a tour of the floating village,croc farm fish and enviromental place lovely 2 course meal and drinks all included,beautiful sunsets and back into hotel by 7pm that way u get to see the lake and tour plus sunsets and meals and back to hotel,very clean ,very good service

6. Re: siem reap - just back - guide and horseback riding recs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, September 15, 2009