We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
Save Topic
Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

May sound silly but on another travel site I read about a tourist whose car-driver was found by local police in SR to have no registration document; tourist ended up paying for it. My question is: how do you know that the driver you hire has a current and valid license and registration? Do you ask? Have any of you encountered similar problems? Thanks :-)

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

Interesting question. I was riding around Phnom Penh on the back of a motor and we were stopped by the traffic police. My driver in his broken English told me it had something to do with the papers for the motor. He told me he rented the motor from his brother, who was in the army, for $3.00 a day. We (I) ended up paying a $2.50 fine to the traffic police so we could continue on our way. I don't know if anyone has a drivers license or registration. I was stopped once at a police check point in the country side in Laos. Much to my surprise the driver had paperwork for the car so we didn't have any problems. All part of the experience traveling in Southeast Asia.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

Thank you for not making me feel foolish, Jason :-). It's not paying for the paper/s that worries me but, quite apart from the fact that an unlicensed driver could be an untried and therefore dangerous one on the roads, I was thinking of places like Singapore where penalties can be quite strict for whatever offense, even if the tourist is completely "innocent". I also read in various posts here and elsewhere that some police in Cambodia ( including SR) may be corrupt and resort to bribes and/or threats to get cash from tourists. ( Before anyone jumps on me, let me hasten to add that yes, police anywhere in the world can be bad apples, including here in the USA). I just don't savo(u)r visions of moi in the clunker in a foreign country ;-).

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,554 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

hehe Livinglife,

I do not agree with you on Singapore. I have visited Singapore several times and never been fined. They just have laws and your are expected to comply with them.

Cambodia is different: you may be fined even if you are "innocent" and the fine go right into the policeman's pocket.

I have local friends telling me when stopped by the police while driving, the first question they're asking to the policeman is "how much?" and they start bargaining...

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

Huow, yeah, that's exactly what I was wondering about in regard to Cambodia. As to Singapore, oh, I agree with you completely - notice I simply said they have strict penalties. The only worries I have while there is when I'm entering or leaving the country - I think of the possibility of another person quietly sneaking drugs into my backpack ;-) --- which is why I never carry a backpack while in Singapore, hehehe.

So, anyone else with any comments/info regarding private drivers' licenses and registrations in SR ( Siem Reap)?

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,554 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

Livinglife,

<off topic>

you should also worry about your main luggages: how do you know someone will not drop drug in while at airport? LOL :p

And you should be also be cautious in Thailand. I think Cambodia has also tight rules about drugs.

</off topic>

perth
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

not many drivers in sr have a license,i live in sr and only been pulled up once,and the copper was pissed off i had a license,he got no money ,bugger,,however thailand i got pulled over 4 times in 3 weeks and have a license but sitll cost me money,,dont offer to pay for anything out of your control,if u get problems ring your hotel manager,they will have a higher up copper to look after guests..i know cause i used to own a hotel in siem reap.its simple u ring manager,manager rings captain,captain rings copper ,copper lets you go,,,i employ a manager and a driver here and both dont have a license,and if i want them to have one i will have to pay,i did this once with a manager i paid 100 usd for her to get a license and she was also getting 180 a month,,,thats big money here and i had to sack her 6 weeks later ,plus she cost me huge business,so will never do that again,

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

Thanks, Aussie45 for the info - a bit disconcerting, that most drivers in SR do not have a license!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

It makes absolute senses that they will not have a valid licence..... I spend some time talking to my driver while in SR last month. I would think that a lot of drivers, especially the younger ones are out to provide a better living for their family. Every single cents can help the family or the people around them. Getting a licence will definitely cost some bucks & It's not a must yet !!! Most importantly is to get a good & steady driver, which is why this forum exist...... Would recommend SAME for any of you guys planning on getting a good Driver, U can email him at lmnrth@yahoo.com. Send him a rdg from Derek of Singapore.....

9. Re: Question about drivers: humo(u)r me, please :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 12, 2009