We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children in SR

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Children in SR

Hi All.

HEaded to SR in about a week. I have heard different stories about the local children concerning the begging etc.

I am not too concerned about it since all reports have also said that the kids are all happy and friendly, but I wanted to know the protocol as far as giving them things.

I know not to give them any money, as it goes straight to an adult, but i was wondering if it is a god idea to bring them pens or gum or similar. Will this be appreciated/appropriate or will it just open a can of worms? Is it preferable to just leave the whole issue alone?

Thanks

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children in SR

I would have to recommend giving nothing.

Because giving anything at all reinforces that they are better off begging than in school.

Because you have no way of knowing how needy one child really is...how do you know you aren't giving to a child who is not so badly off?

Because objects or money received can be a source of argument or cause for bullying.

Because you won't have something for everyone...how can you be fair?

Because giving anything at all reinforces the idea that "foreigner" and "tourist" mean "free stuff" and "easy money." Ideally, money or goods are not directly passed from tourist to recipient.

In addiition, would you not find it a bit odd that a complete stranger gives your child something were you the parent?

So, do give, but to a bona fide charity organization that can fairly distribute your gift. There are plenty to choose from.

zurich
Level Contributor
48 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children in SR

i was in SR last month. we didn't see any children who were begging, but instead, many who were trying to sell us souveniers.

we didn't buy any, but we did give them sweets we had bought.

We were told this was something they appreciated,as all the money they made was given to their parents, so they had nothing for themselves.

even a stick of gum was appreciated.

you could try this...

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Children in SR

Candies and sweets are another thing NOT to give...access to dental care is not good, and cavities are not something to be encouraged. Every NGO will tell you so.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children in SR

I think from teh responses alone that this one is a definite can of worms.

I also have heard more about souvenir selling than begging, and i also heard that it is quite difficult to get the kids to let you be.

This is not really a problem, im not going to be "angry" that theyre "spoiling" my holiday by any means! Just wanted to get a grasp of the situation before i left.

I can see both sides of the argument here, what prompted me was a recent trip to Bali where the locals asked for old tshirts and other clothing, as times were so hard after the bombing that they struggle even for this, and this was definately something icould have brought them from home.

Thanks for the opinions, i think ill stay neutral on the subject.

South Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Children in SR

Hi,

you could try asking one of the Siem Reap "Travel Advisor area experts". I have sent messages a couple of times with questions about our holiday with our children in Sept this year and got some really helpful information from someone who lives in the area and has local knowledge of how best to advise you.

cheers and have a fabulous holiday.

ps. if you weaken and give a child something or buy a trinket from one of the young sales people on the street on your tour of the temples don't feel guilty that you may have contributed to the 'wealth' of a child. I don't think that any of them are that wealthy !

6. Re: Children in SR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, September 02, 2009