We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap is highly recommended

Chicago
3 posts
Save Topic
Siem Reap is highly recommended

My husband and I had an amazing visit to Siem Reap. We stayed at Le Meridien Hotel, which was certainly more than we needed, but we had points that allowed us to stay there for a deep discount. If we go back, which we are sincerely considering one day, we would want to solicit help from our tour guide John Teng who said he could set us up at a "guest house" which would have much more authentic amenities and be less isolated from the character of the city. In addition to his recommendation, John gave us many great experiences. His own story is a great one where he was sponsored by a western tourist to attend school to learn English, and now he sponsors a student like himself. The downtown area has a wonderful nightlife, with so many original and artistic cafes, bars and restaurants. It was very surprising to us that such a poor country would have a bohemian like nightlife with internet cafes, French bakeries, and other unique spots worth checking out if we had more time. The most meaningful part of our trip was when John took us to the floating villages. Before we left, John helped us purchase pens and notebooks for some of the poorest schoolchildren on the planet. Instead of the more common donations, he enabled us to give our gifts directly into the hands of those in need, instead of the frequent losses that can occur with bureaucracies and corruption. Angkor Wat was also phenomenal. John encouraged us to get up before dawn to see the sun rise over the central spires of the temple, which was majestic.

Another great site John took us to was a small private land mine museum which was off the beaten path. Since we were only in Siem Reap for under 48 hours we had so little time to stay and absorb all of these eye-opening experiences. Without John hand-picking the most important attractions, we would have missed Siem Reap.

brisbane australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap is highly recommended

thanks for your post. It sounds just wonderful and I look forward to going there in July. Were the floating villages worth a trip. I need to do a bit more research on what is ther I think

H

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap is highly recommended

Very good report Kerimarsha you've summed Seim Reap up in a nutshell, a wonderful destination to visit. I bet you wish you had an extra few days. I can't wait to return to the best place in S.E.Asia.

singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Siem Reap is highly recommended

Sounds like a Fabulous trip!

I am travelling to Cambodia in late july and am still trying to decide between enjoying the city in the "guest house" or pampering myself in Le Meridien (the hotel looks gorgeous). or doing a bit of both.

What would you recommend?

Is Le Meridien near downtown? is it convenient if we want to go out to have a feel of the nightlife in cambodia?

4. Re: Siem Reap is highly recommended

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 01, 2009