We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malarone and doxycycline are ok

Which Siem Reap hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
4 posts
Save Topic
malarone and doxycycline are ok

We went to Siem Reap last January and took the necessary medication for malaria. My doctor actually prescribed doxycycline for me to take for 28 days while my travel companion was prescribed malarone for 7 days. I just finished taking the tablets just recently and I would just like to say that the medicines didn't have any of the horrible side effects on neither of us while we were in Cambodia or even after we returned home. Nothing whatsoever. No severe diarrhea, no sunburn, none of the sort.

Some of the messages I read here made the medicines appear to be absolutely horrible and even risky for one's health. I do feel better having taken the medicines as I was bitten by some mosquitoes not in the temples but right in my hotel room, a four star one at that.

I especially felt a lot better I took the medicine after I met a female tourist on the flight home who was bitten by a mosquito while in Siem Reap. The swelling on her arm was so bad and itchy she said she was going straight to her doctor as soon as she got back to her country.

To be fair I do not intend to scare anyone intending to travel to Cambodia. I was forewarned of the mosquitoes in that country and frankly I didn't see a lot of them. In fact, I was not bitten not even once during the three days I wandered in the temples of Angkor. I enjoyed my stay and plan to return for a longer stay sometime soon.

I simply wish to inform people that the anti-malarial medicines mentioned above are not as horrible as some people make them appear to be.

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
881 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malarone and doxycycline are ok

everyone reacts differently to medication, and although some may cause problems in some, they can result in nothing in other people.

The same goes for mosquito bites, some people are mosquito food, others aren't, some react badly to bites, others have no reaction at all, and some have no visible signs of being bitten although they actually have been! The girl on the plane sounds as if she has the same reactions as I do!

2. Re: malarone and doxycycline are ok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 23, 2009