We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

Palermo, California
9 posts
Save Topic
Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

I am curious about how much money would be appropriate to save up for a 3 week stay in Bolivia. I will be staying with friends. I know how much to save for airfare. What would be an average amount spent in a day? I would be doing volunteer work so probably would just need to buy food from the market.

Do I acquire a tourist visa?? if so how?

Thank YOU!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

Yes, you'll need a tourist visa and you can buy it at the main airport (VVI) in Santa Cruz.

Palermo, California
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

Thank you. I'll look it up on their site and hopefully get an application and have it filled out before getting there so I'm ready.

Palermo, California
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

Thank you. I'll look it up on their site and hopefully get an application and have it filled out before getting there so I'm ready.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

I filled out the application at the visa counter at the airport. It took about 5 minutes. No problems.

Palermo, California
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

That's easy. Do think $500 is enough to have for food and some things to do?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

If you're going to be staying with friends and staying in Santa Cruz that should be enough.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

Bolivia does require a visa for tourists.....my recollection is that it costs $150 and is valid for five years. Mine was issued by the Bolivian consulate in Miami, but it was handled by a travel company so I am not certain of the procedure for acquiring it. Remember also that Bolivia requires that you be vaccinated against yellow fever..I'd get it done in the US rather than after you land down there.

Santa Cruz is not an expensive city, but how much money you need is a function of what kind of activities you intend to engage in. To be safe, I'd say $1000-$1500 should be adequate for a three-week stay since you are staying with friends...there is a small departure tax ($25, I think) if you're flying out, so save at least that much to get home! Good luck...I'm heading back down there in about a month, but will be in a hunting lodge outside the city for most of the time.

Edited: 4:40 pm, March 25, 2014
Palermo, California
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

Thank you. We don't plan on doing any extra activities. Ill be sure to save that much.

London
Level Contributor
2,733 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

We spent around a month in Bolivia and averaged around $70 US for two people to cover accomodation and food., transport. Without accommodation, I would say $500 would be fine for three weeks. $3 buys a decent, filling lunch, $7-10 for dinner. Of course it is possible to spend more,. Buying food from the market and cooking yourself will cost a lot less.

10. Re: Santa Cruz Bolivia- Expenses and tourist visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 01, 2015