We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to austria!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New to austria!

Hi, I'm considering a trip to austria in may june next year and need some help!

Is middle of may too early? (its so much cheaper!). I am taken by both Zell am see, st wolfgang and lake traunsee from the thomson brochure. any one reccommend the best place for a first time visitor to austria?

Is St wolfgang any good for walking at all? and does it have a public lido or just the lake - will tha be too cold in may?

Would appreciate any help and advice,

x x

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to austria!

I vote for St Wolfgang! I visited there in July this year and thought it was so lovely, I'm planning to go back next summer. The weather is pretty unpredictable. You might well strike a heatwave in mid-May (I've been in Vienna then when the temps have been over 30) On the other hand, I went to the Tirol in early August this year and it bucketed rain with temps of 15 degrees Celcius - shiver! However I would hazard a guess that we might have a decent summer next year (yes please!) and you could get away with going in mid or late May?

I'm not sure about the Lido at St Wolfgang - I would expect yes. There's an awful lot of lake shore, after all! Many hotels have their own private bit, in any case. The Wolfgangsee has some built up areas round its edges but I seem to recall being able to go right to the edge of the lake and admire the fish swimming about (it's very clean!) I suspect it might be a bit cold for swimming in May - unless you strike that heat wave.

There's lots to do because you have the ferries to lug you about between all the other villages on the lake. Walking is big in Austria so I would expect to find a lot on offer in that respect. If you are keen on prancing around mountains, you can take the Schafbergbahn up the Schafberg behind the village and walk all over there too. There's also a cablecar in St Gilgen to take you up into the mountains at that end of the lake.

St Wolfgang is well-placed for day trips - you can get the bus to Salzburg (changing at Strobl - there are posts about this elsewhere in the forum). You can also get the bus to Bad Ischl which is worth a visit, and from there the train to Hallstatt which is gorgeous, and in the other direction, the train to the Traunsee.

I'm biassed because I've not been to either of the other two places you mention - though they are probably lovely (most of Austria is!) Austria is generally economical for a holiday too - I was amazed at the prices in St Wolfgang - food and lodging are very cheap. You may find you can save money if you're prepared to book direct . Some of the holiday companies will sell flight-only deals with transport to the resorts included (or if you're specially bold you can travel independently, flying into Salzburg and then catching the bus to St Wolfgang). I've found booking the hotel direct saves me a lot of money (and means I don't have to pay for a half-board package which I find too limiting). This website

tiscover.at/at/…home.html

has information about St Wolfgang and facilities to book hotels online.

Hope that helps!

Rol

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to austria!

Many thanks, I just have to persuade the other half to part with some cash now and that website may help.

x x

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to austria!

One point I overlooked - some of the St Wolfgang hotels are only open for a limited season over the summer. So if you travel earlier, you might find the choice for self-booking rather limited. On the plus side, if you book direct with the hotel, you are not usually required to pay anything in advance - very few of the Austrian hotels I've stayed at have even asked for a deposit! That certainly cuts down on your initial outlay - even though you will have to shell out for the flights in advance.

rol, also planning for next summer!

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
86 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to austria!

It really does depend what you like to do and what you expect. We stayed in Kaprun this July (in the heatwave) and loved it but were glad we weren't in nearby Zell am See, although we did walk down to it, as it is a town and not a village. We have been to Austria (Tirol mainly) every year since 1998 each month from May to September and have always had lovely weather apart from the last three days when we went in September. I wanted to see Austria covered in snow so we went in March one year and it was over 75 degrees in Salzburg and Innsbruck, and the snow there had melted but there was still a lot in Soll where we stayed. Usually weather in the Tirol is very warm in May, but you could equally have a week of rain. Anywhere in Austria is lovely, but each place seems to have a different feel. Loved Kaprun, good walks and the view from the top of the snow covered glacier is stunning. Be aware that sometimes cable cars are not open until mid June, you can usually check on the web sites for the area you want, get them from Tiscover.

5. Re: New to austria!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, August 23, 2009