We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage on the Postbus

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage on the Postbus

Very silly question but thought someone here might know the answer: Is it possible to take luggage on the Postbus? I want to get from Salzburg to Bad Ischl with a portly suitcase. It's much cheaper to take the Postbus than the train (and quicker too) but I wasn't sure if there would be anyplace to stow a largish suitcase. Is there a hold under the bus in which travellers can stuff their bags?

Many thanks!

Rol, venturing into deepest Salzkammergut

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,235 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage on the Postbus

The storage is under the passanger cabin. You need to tell the driver that you carry heavy luggage, then he will get off the coach and assist you.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage on the Postbus

That's great - just what I was hoping, since I didn't fancy riding the whole way with a suitcase on my knee! Thank you very much!

r

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage on the Postbus

Of course busses are made for that. They do have storage space like any other coach under the passengers cabin. Ask the bus driver ... will save yourself from dirty fingers.

If it's a new low-floor bus, there will be storage space in the middle of the bus.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage on the Postbus

Dear Roley,

i had similar question to ask. How easy/difficult is it to carry luggage in buses whn i travel to bad ischl. that was concern because of which i was avoiding buses. what was your experience?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage on the Postbus

It was fine. The buses are big, modern (airconditioned) coaches. When the bus arrived at the stop outside the railway station in Salzburg, I just opened one of the hold doors under the bus and chucked my suitcase in, and then joined the queue to get my ticket from the driver. When I got off the other end, I hopped out, opened the hold door, and pulled my case out. I think the driver will help anyone who has difficulty handling their luggage. Quite a few people on the bus were travelling with various kinds of luggage but the hold is massive - pretty much the whole length of the bus, in compartments, so I had no difficulty stowing my stuff. Again, I saw people transferring their bags from the Salzburg-Bad Ischl bus onto the St Wolfgang bus at Strobl and it's the same type of bus so no problem there.

I don't much like bus travel myself - prefer trains - but this was definitely the better end of bus travel, with cool, comfortable vehicles and no problems with luggage. Much better than the primitive facilities available in England! I wouldn't hesitate to use this mode of transport when travelling through Austria again - if anything, it was easier than the trains because you didn't have to climb up those steep steps into the rail carriage, lifting your suitcase up with you. Next week I'm travelling by train from Munich to the Tirol and I know I'll end up with bruised shins!

Rol

Antwerp
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage on the Postbus

Thanks Rol,

you seem to love travelling (like me). I will certainly try buses now.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage on the Postbus

Hi roley, one naive question. are there toilets in these buses?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,235 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage on the Postbus

Although it is long ago that I have been on a scheduled coach, I doubt that there are lavatories onboard (even on the newer ones).

Antwerp
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage on the Postbus

thanks i also guessed so. another question. can i buy from the bus driver a combo ticket of bus and train. I have to travel between st. wolfgang and halsttatt by bus plus train.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage on the Postbus

One can buy tickets for all means of transport as long one is travelling in the same Bundesland (federal state, austria has 9 of them). St. Wolfgang is in Oberösterreich (Upper Austria), Hallstatt is... so it's possible.