We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Albert Lea mn

Princeton, NJ
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Albert Lea mn

I will be in Albert Lea mn on sat February 8. Just wondering if any thing going on, is there a library? Art museum Special event

8 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,618 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Albert Lea mn

How about the Spam Museum in Austin, MN - I think about 30 minutes away.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
697 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Albert Lea mn

There's not much in Albert Lea. There is a very small mall, hotels and restaurants. There would be a public library. The Spam Museum would be a good option. It would be a 10 - 15 minute drive.

Vadnais Heights...
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Albert Lea mn

The Spam Museum actually is quite interesting because of the development, history, uses and wide availability. Very good displays and visual documentation. The Mayo exhibits in Rochester, MN are a good second place to see.

You will even understand why Hawaii is the largest consumer of Spam in the U.S.

Dick

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
538 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Albert Lea mn

If you are an architecture fan, there is a magnificent bank building in Owatonna by Louis Sullivan(mentor to Frank Lloyd Wright and others). If you take 35 to Minneapolis, it's not far out of the way. Interior is amazing

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Albert Lea mn

Walk around Fountain Lake, starting at Lakeview school - it is very pretty and relaxing. Go downtown and drink, the Aragon Bar has strippers in the back room. Try dinner at Crescendo, the best restaurant in town. Best pizza is Jakes (downtown, as is Crescendo). Weird tiny restaurant for diner style food - The Elbow Room, go before it doesn't exist anymore. It is stuck in time, as is the Sportsman's Tavern, across the street from the library. These are the sort of old places that in a busy city would get replaced, maybe by a chain, but there just keep staying around and that is a great thing. AL has an excellent community theater, if something is playing, go see it. There is a semi-abandoned rock garden on the outskirts of town and an excellent state park (Helmer Myer) where I like to camp when I visit. I'm from AL, if you can't tell, and certainly would never tell you to visit Austin if you're in Albert Lea. I live in NYC now but with time now appreciate Albert Lea for what it is. Oh, if you have friends there with a boat, water skiing on Fountain Lake can't be beat. I hope this info is useful to any visitors. We Minnesotans like to be nice.

Edited: 5:42 pm, August 17, 2014
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Albert Lea mn

Mpls, the OP traveled back in February, but thanks for the info. It may be of use to others.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Albert Lea mn

Oh, I know. Just doing this for future travelers. Forgot to mention Freeborn County Historical Society, worth a visit. And the county fair if you are there when it's on. August I think. In February, say 2015, go ice fishing.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Albert Lea mn

Oh, I know. Just doing this for future travelers. Forgot to mention Freeborn County Historical Society, worth a visit. And the county fair if you are there when it's on. August I think. In February, say 2015, go ice fishing.

Reply to: What to do in Albert Lea mn
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Albert Lea