We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ann Arbor-Detroit Sports Trip

Which Ann Arbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ann Arbor-Detroit Sports Trip

My family and I are planning a trip in September to see the Michigan/Utah football game. We are big sports nuts. So we are going to take in the Lions game on Sunday and the Tigers game on Monday. We are trying to decide if it's a good idea to just stay in Detroit the whole time or split up the time with one or two nights in Ann Arbor and 2 or 3 nights in Detroit. Or is staying at one hotel midway between a good idea? Is there enough to see and do in Ann Arbor to get there Thursday before the game? Also, have safe is Detroit?

I would appreciate any advise! Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ann Arbor-Detroit Sports Trip

I'd look at the TA attractions pages for both Ann Arbor and Detroit to see what each place has to offer and make a decision on where to stay based on that....if you like rollercoasters, Sandusky Ohio is not that far away, less than two hours from AA...

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ann Arbor-Detroit Sports Trip

Split it up. Downtown Detroit and Ann Arbor are both safe with plenty to do. In between is Henry Ford/Greenfield Village and not much else. No point in driving between the two multiple times. Of course you may have a hard time getting a hotel in AA on a game weekend. Utah is not going to be a huge draw compared to Notre Dame or a Big 10 rival, but book early.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ann Arbor-Detroit Sports Trip

Thanks for the advise. I was leaning towards splitting it up, but wanted to make sure.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ann Arbor-Detroit Sports Trip

I second splitting it up, but I'd make reservations for Ann Arbor far, FAR in advance (like, now...)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
280 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ann Arbor-Detroit Sports Trip

I third splitting it up. Ann Arbor is safe, and downtown Detroit has some very safe neighborhoods.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ann Arbor-Detroit Sports Trip

I too agree with splitting it up. There's plenty to do in Ann Arbor for a couple days of fun. Even though UM is playing Utah you definitely want to reserve a room ASAP and do read the reviews on TripAdvisor if you're tempted to save some money. There are some dives in Ann Arbor that I swear only stay in business because of the combination of UM events that sell out every hotel room for crazy prices and illicit activities all the other days/nights.

7. Re: Ann Arbor-Detroit Sports Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 22, 2015