We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bars and restaurants for a 2 night visit

England
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bars and restaurants for a 2 night visit

Good evening all. My wife and I will be in Ann Arbor for the football match at the end of July and will be spending 2 fairly busy nights in your town. As such I would be grateful for some guidance on decent bars and places to eat while we are there.

We arrive early on a Friday afternoon and are just going to "hit the town" for a few drinks and a bite to eat. The following day is our 34th wedding anniversary (and they said it wouldn't last) and we will be heading to town about 1pm for a couple of hours before the game (which kicks off at 5pm) then after the game back into town for the evening.

We are 58 & 59 years old but enjoy a bit of decent music but would prefer to avoid places that were overly loud and playing "boom boom" music.

If anyone could recommend a couple of decent places to call into I would be obliged.

Cheers. Paul.

Mentioned in this post
Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor
Michigan
HopCat
$$ - $$$, American, Bar, Pub
Wolverine State Brewing Co.
$$ - $$$, American, Bar, Pub
Beer Grotto
$$ - $$$, Bar, Pub
4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bars and restaurants for a 2 night visit

I'm a University of Michigan student and I've lived in AA for two years now, so I like to think I have a good idea of the best places in town.

The Blind Pig is a really popular bar which usually has live music from local artists that I'd definitely suggest for a more lowkey (by college town standards) night on the town. It's definitely one of my favorite places. If you want a sports bar/classic divey atmosphere, Garage Bar, The Brown Jug, and Good Time Charley's are good places to start and are right on the same corner (very popular on game day and with students). For a pub, Ashley's is a classic. For good food and craft beer, I really like the Blue Tractor Brewing Co. or Grizzly Peak Brewing Co.

If you're looking for somewhere for dinner, there are endless options to choose from. For a nicer dinner I would suggest Aventura (Spanish tapas) or Mani Osteria (oysters and such). For a meal that you don't have to dress up for I would suggest Jolly Pumpkin or Savas. If you're looking for casual order at a counter quick bites place, there's Panchero's (Mexican food, build your own burrito, very popular with students), Pie-ology (build your own pizzas), or Piada (Italian street food).

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me with questions!

Mentioned in this post
University of Michigan
University of Michigan
550 Reviews
Ann Arbor, MI
Blue Tractor
Blue Tractor
309 Reviews
Ann Arbor, MI
Aventura Ann Arbor
Aventura Ann Arbor
285 Reviews
Ann Arbor, MI
Mani Osteria
Mani Osteria
500 Reviews
Ann Arbor, MI
Sava's
Sava's
676 Reviews
Ann Arbor, MI
England
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bars and restaurants for a 2 night visit

Cheers Ash. That seems sufficient for our needs. If it goes pear shaped I'll let you know when we get home.

michigan
Level Contributor
360 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bars and restaurants for a 2 night visit

If you are in town on a football weekend you will need dining reservations at the nicer places and be prepared to wait at the more casual spots. AA can be crazy on football weekends.

You should read through the dining recommendations here on TA and see what type of food appeals to you.

Ashley S has suggested several good spots from a younger perspective. From a perspective more your age I would add: The Earle (great happy hour and live jazz starts at 8pm on weekends), West End Grill (higher end), Kana Pacific Rim.

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Rim By Kana
Pacific Rim By Kana
343 Reviews
Ann Arbor, MI
England
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bars and restaurants for a 2 night visit

Much obliged, valuable information. I shall have a look at the bars and restaurants you named.

Cheers. Paul.

Reply to: Bars and restaurants for a 2 night visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted