We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Lancashire
1 post
Save Topic
First Visit in March

It will be our first time visit to Dubai in early March and we are wondering is it feasable to be able to walk in the daytime or will it be too hot?

We are reading horror stories of traffic problems when taking taxis to other areas of Dubai....is it as bad as we hear?

We are staying in Diera at the JW Marriot and any suggestions of bars, restaurants, malls in the area would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Manchester, UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit in March

I'm also going in March, its the perfect time to go! You can still walk around and do things and enjoy sunbathing. Should probably get to about 30/32 and not go any colder than 18.

Traffic is like any other city centre, traffic is bad during peak rush hours and friday night but otherwise ok. I would recommend hiring a driver for the day as its great for sightseeing and having someone at your beck and call, should cost around £40 for the entire day.

Check out the Gordon Ramsey restaurant at Hilton Dubai Creek!

Boston...
Level Contributor
362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit in March

I haven't experince the weather in March but I think it would be the same as February weather that is warm in the upper 70's but I would think March will be a little warmer since each week the temps are going up a little. After 20 minutes walk in the sun, the warm weather will get you sweating a bit, wear sunscreen and sunglasses. I realized hardly anyone walks here in Dubai and it's not a walking city 'cause most places are far off from each other. Take a taxi, very cheap to get around. The driving horror stories you read is true to some extent. There is a lot of bad drivers, reckless drivers, and idiots who speed. And I thought the city of Boston have the worse drivers but nope Dubai tops it. Just be careful when walking across any pedestrain cross and wait a few seconds until all cars come to a complete stop. I have seen some occasions when the pedestrain signs give you a 'go' and a bad driver ignore it. Here is a tip about riding in a taxi...if you are uncomfortable on the taxi driving (e.g. speeding)...kindly them him to slow down to a reasonable speed. Not all taxi drivers are speeders and do obey the road rules. The traffic is normal than any other cities, but it is wise to avoid the traffic times- morning and evening rush hours, the weekends- Thurs night to Saturday evenings are big going out nights and traffic is likely.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
199 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit in March

We like to walk alot and certainly in the old town its not a problem.

Early march will be fine, but maybe hot in the midday sun.

The culture is to drive everywhere, even on the beach or literally 20 yds to a shop, so as a pedestrian its difficult, you get weird looks and the streets are not that walker friendly. There is no concept of energy saving or fuel costs as its dirt cheap.

Outside of the old town think 6 lane highways and not many underpasses or crossings.

Dnt be put off taxis are great and most are very clean and courteous.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit in March

I have been to Dubai at different times of the year I have been in March and found the heat to be quite torrible. The traffic is mad, the way Dubai is laid out taxis are the best form of transport. as it can be quite difficult to cross roads as they are like our motorways. make sure you drink plent of fluids all day every day. vending machines serving water or pop can be found everywhere make sure you have plenty of change a bottle of water will cost from 14p to 25p out of a vending machine same with a pop. depending on your budet for a really cheep night out try the little hut very near karama market a mix of india and chinese when we go we order 4 main meals 2 rice and it cost with water apx 16 pounds. like all hot country seek shade in the hight of the day. sunbath between 9am and 1pm then have a rest or go to the malls gold souks are best visited at night to get the atmosphere. the kebabs from the little huts are very tasty and well worth trying. go to wild wadis expensive but a good day out. do a desert safari great experiance. and a dowh cruise. take a light weight coat or jacket as it can turn chilly at this time of year at night. have a great time go with an open mind and it will not dissapoint. sorry about the spelling.

ireland
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit in March

jesus

are people afraid to go outside their front door

the internet will tell you the temps in march

horror stories,traffic is heavy ,very heavy at times but thats the same all over the world

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,620 posts
1,875 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit in March

I first went in March 2001. I thought it was hot. Bumped into another vistior from India who found the weather rather pleasant.

My second visit was In Feb 04. I thought it was a lot more pleasant then again I arrived there after a trip in Mauritius where it was reallly hot.

It does not matter about the weather if you are going to a mall or spend some time at the beach.

The traffic can be bad but that goes for every other major city in the world.

Shopping: Bur Jurman, Mall of the emirates, Ibn Buttn.

Mina Bazaar for traditional asian clothes, Karama for fakes, Gold Souk for the jewellery.

7. Re: First Visit in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 18, 2009