We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip and need advice

NYC Metro
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip and need advice

Hi, my girlfriend and I are thinking about a trip to Dubai and I need some advice for an itinerary that would give us a great experience there. I was thinking of going in the fall between September and October, is that a good time if year to visit?

I really want to do a desert safari with 4 wheelers and hopefully overnight camping. Not sure of what all to see and do in Dubai, other than the Burj Khalifa. Any reccomendation on where to stay? Something nice but affordable.

Any side trips that would be worth doing? Thanks!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,890 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip and need advice

Affordable means different things to different people, as does nice, so stating your budget per night and if you prefer a beach or city hotel would help (beach hotels are more expensive).

October has nicer weather than September which can still be very humid.

Have a look at Top Questions about Dubai on the right side of this screen to find out tons of useful information on things to see and do.

A fantastic side trip would be a day tour to Musandam in Oman to sail on a traditional wooden dhow, see dolphins and enjoy the stunning scenery. Or a trip to Abu Dhabi to see the Grand Mosque. It really depends how many days you have in Dubai if it's worth doing those things.

2. Re: Planning a trip and need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:30 pm, June 09, 2017
NYC Metro
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip and need advice

I will try to plan for late October/early Novemebr then. Where would you recommend to stay for convienence for getting around? If I can find the area to stay then I can figure out where to stay based on budget. Is AirBnB worth looking into for Dubai?

Oman seems like a great side trip as well as Abu Dhabi. Would hiring a car be the best way to get around? Would a week be sufficient amount of time or how much time would you reccomend to explore Dubai, desert safari, Oman and Abu Dhabi? Thanks again.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip and need advice

AirBnB style renting is beginning and the govt has just put in place the appropriate regulations. There are also regular commercial apartments and hotel apartments in addition to hundreds of hotels. I would only pay the premium to stay at the beach if you plan to spend a lot of time there. Otherwise save money and visit the beach when you like .. and the weather permits. Dubai is fairly compact, taxis are cheap and the metro and bus service pretty good. Uber is expanding too.

Renting a car is fine if you are an experienced and confident city driver. Driving standards are pretty variable here and the highways are huge. Parking can be a pain too. Always rent from a well-known brand, and make sure you have an IDP.

There is a wide range of desert safaris but only a few offer overnight stays. Platinum Heritage is generally viewed as the best, budget permitting.

Is a week enough ? You could stay for a month and still find new things to do, but a week would enable you to try a wide choice of activities. It depends very much on what you like to do and how busy you want to be. Read as much as you can and see what piques your interest.

NYC Metro
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip and need advice

We don't need to be near the beach as we would probably just visit for a day. Is the Marina area a good place to stay?

If we didn't hire a car what is the best way to travel to Abu Dhabi or Oman? I'm used to driving in NYC and Los Angeles so city driving is not an issue for me.

Is an overnight safari worth it or would a day trip be a valued experience? Thanks!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip and need advice

If you want Oman too I think you would be looking at 10 days. It's an hour flight to Muscat from Dubai. I really like Muscat; just finished a 100 person incentive trip there and all of the suppliers, guides etc were brilliant. Completely removed from Dubai in so many ways...

7. Re: Planning a trip and need advice

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:30 pm, June 09, 2017
8. Re: Planning a trip and need advice

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 23, 2017