We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deira Hotels yes/no

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Deira Hotels yes/no

So confused even after reading all the posts. Is Deira OK to stay in. Looking more from the shopping angle "souks" etc. Can anyone suggest a hotel if area is OK 4 star up. Otherwise looking at hotels like Hilton Creek Hotel or Sheraton Creek Hotel. Is Hilton area a better choice. & look at taking taxis to souks etc. Is the electronics souk good for bargains & is the dunes 4wd & barbie worth doing

To anyone who takes the time to reply thanks heaps

Peggysue

Down Under

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Deira Hotels yes/no

The hotels you mention are fine. In fact, the Hilton Creek is quite funky. The Sheraton is a bit older, but the reception is quite posh! Don't know what the rooms there are like. They're very close to one another, so it wouldn't really make a difference as to which one you choose. Nothing in Dubai is that far away so wherever you may choose, you wouldn't have to spend a fortune getting anywhere. Taxis are metered and quite cheap here. Not quite sure which electronics soukh you are talking about, but Carrefour (supermarket), Jumbo Electronics and Plug-ins are all worth checking out. Whatever you buy, make sure it's got international warranty. Not sure that I would buy anything electrical from a soukh myself, but.... You should definitely check prices at home before coming here so you have a comparison. I'm not sure that Dubai is that much cheaper for eletrical stuff now. The desert safari is definitely worth doing - not sure when you are thinking of coming though. You have to consider it's warming up here and from May onwards, you probably wouldn't find it very comfortable. There are two Metropolitan Hotels Deira side and also Sofitel is actually in City Centre shopping mall, so they may be worth checking out. On the other side of the creek, if you are looking for reasonably priced and not worried about beach, check out Ibis and Novotel, both are good value for money.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deira Hotels yes/no

Thks Jaky the info you have given me is very helpful. Will look into the hotels as mentioned. The electronics souk/shop I just saw on a map in Deira but thks for the names of the ones you mentioned & will heed your advice in knowing prices before we shop. We will be in Dubai beginning of January which we believe will be similar to our winters in Queensland but with the desert areas a lot colder yes? so a jacket or similar at night even in the city?

Cheers from Down Under

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Deira Hotels yes/no

The desert itself is generally colder at night, so I would say yes. Even if you didn't find them necessary there, you will certainly find them useful indoors, where the AC can be quite sharp! Don't be misled when I use the term desert, because that's really for when you are going out dune bashing. The rest of Dubai is a proper "city"! Am off to NZ and OZ in a few weeks and will be spending time in Brizzy/Coolum for the first time (end April/beg. May). What sort of day/night temps. can I expect there? Tks a mill!

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deira Hotels yes/no

Hi Jaky

Sorry for the delay in responding been away over our Easter.

Thanks again for your advice.

It should be low 20's during the day with milder nights down to average 16c. By begin May slightly cooler It is around 27c today 30/3 but like all countries can change at a whim. As we are a tropical climate we tend to have a high humidity which can be sticky but by Apr/May the humidity will be gone making way for very pleasant mild days I would suggest something like a long sleeve T or similar at night & always being on the coast at Coolum it will be that bit cooler. But T's & shorts to jeans through the day. Anyway I look at it this way you come with little luggage & buy what you need when you get here we have great clothing stores. Enjoy our beautiful country.

Cheers

from Down Under

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Deira Hotels yes/no

...and I just love shopping! Thanks so much for getting back to me. Jaky

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deira Hotels yes/no

Hey join he club that is why I am looking forward to the "gold etc" shopping in Dubai. What type of clothing can we expect in your stores/markets (not too "westernised" I hope)

Our travel agent has come back with these hotels -whcih would you advise for location, service & over all rating

Rydges Plaze (belive this is an Aussie one)

Renaissance Hotel Dubai

Le Meridien Dubai

We are trying to book early as a number of hotels already booked out Dec/Jan.

Cheers

Downunder

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Deira Hotels yes/no

We have all types of clothing here. In the malls, you will pretty much find western shops. For something more exotic, try Karama and the Sharjah soukh and also in areas around the gold soukh, which is in Deira.

Rydges Hotel is in an area called Satwa, the Renaissance is in Deira (a fair way over). The Meridien - has your travel agent specified which one as there are three? If it's the airport Meridien, I think I'd be inclined to go for it. Firstly, if you want the beach, this hotel will give you free access to Meridien Mina Seyahi. It's also close to shopping in Deira (City Centre and reasonably close to gold soukh) and it's situated right on the end of the Sh. Zayed Road, which is our main arterial (spelling?) road for getting around in Dubai. It's also (I think) probably better than Rydges but I don't know about Renaissance in terms of their facilities. Rydges is the Ozzie chain, but I don't know that that would make much difference here.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
369 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deira Hotels yes/no

Le Meridien airport I think - actually that was the one I was leaning to also. Especially after reading the "trip advisor reviews" & now your post

Could we walk from the hotel to any shopping centre/markets in Deira or would a taxi be the way to go seeing as they are so cheap.

Thanks for all the info there will perhaps be heaps more as time goes by. Do you know much about Cairo before Dubai we are going to Cairo & joining a tour to see all the usual things - pyramids, nile cruise etc etc. Do you know if shopping would be better in one than the other ie: clothes, jewellery, electronics

When do you leave for NZ & OZ - have you been to either before - have a great time

Cheers

From Downunder

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Deira Hotels yes/no

No-one walks anywhere in Dubai - seriously though, you would have to taxi to most places wherever you were staying. Taxis are cheap and metered here, so you won't have a problem there. The driving is quite crazy here and we're not really geared up for pedestrians! Most westerners don't use the buses (hence we know absolutely nothing about them!), but I have seen the odd tourist or two waiting at a bus stop. I do know they are quite clean, comfortable and very, very cheap.

Sorry, can't help you with Cairo.

Am off for three weeks from the middle of next week. I have been to both before, but not to the Gold Coast. I'm really lucky in that, having lived here for so long, I've got loads of friends all over the world which means I stay with people "in the know".

Let me know if there's anything else, but you've got a while to go yet anyway.

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Deira Hotels yes/no

Hi Peggysue. Just got back last week from Dubai. Had a fantastic time.

We stayed in Deira. it is close to everything. the taxis are very cheap and are everywhere, though we did also use puplic transport. You can by a pre-paid card and use that to get tickets for each ride. 1 card two people. the buses are reliable and clean and very very cheap. Pick up a timetable and map at gold souk terminus.

Taj Palace lovely hotel,is in a very convenient area. though everywhere is close in Dubai, and this is near the electronics area. The prices are good compared to Australia.

Make sure you pack your good walking shoes, and dont miss the water taxis (abra). also great fun and cheap.

Have Fun