We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forum Query

England
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Forum Query

Why do we have a pin boarded note about things to do in Dubai at the top of our forum that hasn't been updated for 5 years.

Are the internals of the note being updated or is Latimer the last contributor.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forum Query

It can't be updated because it is closed to new contributions - if you check you will see you can't reply to it.

It was replaced several years ago with the much wider Top Questions for Dubai that you can see to the right of the posts page.

I have asked TA to remove it as a sticky because it is no longer necessary but so far they haven't.

Perhaps you could look at the top questions instead - there's far more information and newer topics in there

England
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forum Query

Thanks Latimer for the reply. I do use all the other tabs on the right, it's just my OCD kicking in and frustrating me at a dead sticky ............ Now I know you have requested a change I will be able to sleep sound.

3. Re: Forum Query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, May 10, 2014
DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forum Query

I agree, a dead sticky should be removed- in a city like Dubai, a lot happens within 5 years.

Some of the links to the right of the screen also need updating and/or editing for accuracy.

Here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forum Query

Hi Fasttrack

Only DEs can edit the top questions so maybe you can help with keeping them all up to date. You can't edit the topics but you can remove any links that you think are out of date.

It's all voluntary after all so spend as much time as you like.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forum Query

Thank you Latimer, I knew I could as a DE and intend on doing so. I was by no means asking anyone to do anything, just highlighting a fact which is allowed as far as I know. And, even if I don't intend to add or update, I could still voice my opinion.

All members in -fact- can contribute to this if they wish, by pointing out inaccuracies or suggesting new resources, etc. They could also comment about a dated or dead post, just as the OP did here. TA is a community, after all. And, yes- it's all voluntary, although some may also view it as their responsibility towards a site that they have and continue to benefit from- I'm one of many who belong to this category.

Here and there
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
48,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forum Query

It's my opinion too but heaven knows where we would find the time to keep it all up to date as well as contribute - if people get hung up because some of the posts are out of date then they can always ask for more information and if more people read them then perhaps that would spark more desire to stay on top of them.

The only way in reality to stay on top of all of it is to remove everyone's hard work over the years and start again - good luck with that.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
12,587 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forum Query

The problem with the top questions on the right side is that they are not accessable if you are using TA with smart phones as many people these days do when they are traveling.

England
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Forum Query

I wish I never asked a simple question, some people might have also wanted to ask the same question but knew what the answer was going to be.

The only dumb question is the unasked question.

Sorry it caused angst amongst the DE's of the forum.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Forum Query

Tigerdaly, I sincerely think that your question is quite legit- there's nothing wrong with it. Latimer, I get what you mean but it's not all-or-none. People can and actually do update info in the forum posts every day, it's a continuous improvement process, not a revolution.

Yes maher, accessing the links from smart phones is a challenge that TA needs to address as many people nowadays rely on their phones.