We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
396 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

I have been offered deals for these hotels. Does anyone have any comments to make on location, room size / quality and size of swimming pool.

We stayed at Grand Hyatt on our previous visit and were a bit spolit.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

hi there...

first of all why you were spoilt at Grand hyatt? if i knew that i might be of more help with the 2 names you mentioned here.

about these 2 hotels, Dhow palace is a new hotel in Mankhool (Bur Dubai) the last time i was in Dubai, the hotel was not really finished yet (2 months ago) I dont know if you are familiar with Dubai areas or not, but this location is fair. ( I dont know what you will be looking for in your hotel area). it is not close to any of shopping areas, and i would say i wont choose this hotel to stay in.

Crown Plaza, is right opposite to Dubai world trade center, in shaikh zayed road, there are always taxis at the door waiting for customers, they have a very good service, large and clean rooms.

In the walking distance you can find some minor shoping areas, but its just a short ride to city center (if you like it) I would recomend this hotel for a nice but expensive stay in Dubai.

With the information you have provided, I could only say these words.....Hope it helps

Vafa

London, England
Level Contributor
396 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

Vafa, thanks for the reply.

Grand Hyatt is a good quality 5 star hotel, with a large lagoon style pool.

Crowne Plaza is only 4 star. Dhow Palace, I believe is a brand new 5 star hotel, but does that come with teething problems? They both have roof top or roof terrace pools, which, in my experience, could be very small, with little or no sunbathing area. (This is very important to my other half.)

We are just after some sun and relaxation during the day, some shopping and some good food. Crowne Plaza is next door to Fairmont and we have eaten in Spectum on One, before, which was excellent.

Rick

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

ok Rick,

Based on this information i would say the roof pool of Dhow Palace seems to be very small. Have you seen their website?

http://www.dhowpalacehoteldubai.com

I could not find any pics from their rooms in that site, and the last time i was offered to stay there, I did not, but i went to see the place and the hotel. let me just say i didnt like it. It was kind of still under construction!

I would recomend the crown plaza, for the location and good service and area.

Wish could helped more this time...

maybe you like to check this site for more info on hotel websites in dubai, as it is very hard to find the official website of a hotel in Dubai from Google.

dubaitourism.co.ae/travel/tourdir_hotels.asp

any help i can provide, just let me know....as i loved London people in my last trip (came back yesterday) and i enjoyed their help a lot :-)

Vafa

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

Vafa I remember you from the London forum I shall be looking out for your trip report :o)

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

Rick, the GH is far superior to either of these hotels. The CP is much older than the DP, but the DP is not in a wonderful area and, quite frankly, I am amazed it's been graded five star. If it were me, I would go for CP, simply for its central location.

Vafa, I am also amazed that you could ask him why he thought the GH would be much better. I think a little common sense would come in handy before you dive in and answer/give advice.

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

oops ...

did i say why GH is better? i wanted to know why, for what points, he liked GH better..was it the room size? location? price? resturants? to compare the 2 others based on that info...that was all..

Vafa

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

Vafa, you say you come from Planet Earth. Surely it's obvious why he likes the Grand Hyatt? I think you would have to be pretty unearthly not to, don't you? He is now trying to compare it with his two choices for this trip - CP and DP, neither of which really stack up if you think about it. So, he needs to make a selection from these two bearing in mind he liked the GH but isn't staying there this time.

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

Dear Jacky,

from your postings in dubai forum, mainly concentrated to answer me, not to help posters here, I feel somehow you dont like any others to participate in this forum. I believe for postings in forums, everybody can has his/her comments and the requesting person is the one to decide and use the comments. Well, it is true that other commenting people can disagree with some posts, but changing the forum to an argue space between 2 or more people is not the aim of this forum and website. It is not needed to name people here and keep telling them they are wrong or they did not understand well, and think you have done all the things correct.

You can have your idea and post it, and let others do so, maybe it is not you who is always right. Give it a second to think about.

For all the above, I will stop posting to this forum and hope your wonderful comments help all the visitors, where that is the main aim of this website and me.

I would like to know what other people think about the way you post and act here.

Good luck

Vafa

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,479 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

Don't know the Dhow Palace but would advise against the Crowne Plaza if the swimming pool is high on the list of things for the Mrs.

It's very small, very dated and is located on the roof of a sticky out bit (technical term) at the front on the 2nd floor. So it is overlooked by another 14 floors of hotel and only 2 floors up from the Sheik Zayed Road - probably one of the busiest roads in Dubai. Looked at the hotel last year to decide wether or not to stay on a future visit and decided against it based on the pool.

If cost is an issue I would recommend Chelsea Towers Apartments just along SZR from Crowne Plaza so access to all the same shops, coffee bars, bistros etc and with an excellent pool. We stayed there for a few days in preference to the CP and were very glad that we did.

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Crowne Plaza or Dhow Palace

Vafa, I am certainly not concentrating on you! What I am concerned with is that you are not really reading their questions through and understanding what they want and, therefore, inadvertently giving them the wrong answer.

Come on guys, what do you think of my posts - are they a load of old rubbish as Vafa thinks then?????