We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars or What?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
surrey
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dollars or What?

We are off to Dubai next week and the old question about "Is it best to take American Dollars or local currency" is being raised by my wife.

I know that we can use our credit cards but I would perfer to use cash.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollars or What?

Hi

Why not bring an ATM card and get cash while you are there :-) My wife and I went to Dubai a couple of years back and we didn't bring any cash at all. At the airport we got some Dirhams to get us started. I have posted a trip report with pictures from our trip to Dubai on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollars or What?

Bring GB pounds, don't bother with Dollars, I usually change enough at Dubai Airport for taxis and tips while I'm there and use card for everything else. ATM's are everywhere ( especially malls ) if you want to withdraw cash, good exchange rate but watch what your bank charges you for foreign withdrawals.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollars or What?

Do you know if they are OK changing ��700 cash at the airport, or do the limit the amount of sterling notes that they will accept?

Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollars or What?

For our visit at start of February I had earlier asked same advice of Daily Telegraph travel writer. Response was - take sterling and change in local banks.

Avoids having to pay two lots of commission (UK to US to UAE DH), Best exchange rates are in local banks, not hotels. Best we managed was 6.885Dh to one pound in National Bank of Dubai (1,377Dh for 200 pounds sterling), Deira City Mall.

Can I suggest you change some cash at Dubai Airport (exchange booth in exit lounge, not within Duty Free) ? Ask for some small bills for tips - taxis start at 3Dh and any normal city journey is usually not more than ten-fifteen. Invariably you can end up with notes of fifty, hundred and five hundred in a normal currency exchange and a few tens and fives will save embarassment or splitting big notes to pay very smam amount.

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
467 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollars or What?

Jackyboy

If you dont want to use the plastic in the ATMs which we have found favourite, then use the exchange booths run by the banks, theres one in arrivals,and in all the malls.

Avoid the hotels as their exchange rates are poor.

Regards

Chris & Sue

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollars or What?

Thanks for the advice!

UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollars or What?

We have just returned from Dubai, i think the local currancy is pegged to to dollar, as the dollar is not great at the moment you would do well to take sterling and change it when you get there.

There is no charge for currency exchange, prices vary daily, slightly and from money exchance to money exchange. Don't be put off by the seedier looking ones they are all regulated and give you a receipt. But they do advise you check your money before you leave as they will not deal with queries once you go out of the door. We have never had a problem.

p.s: 5 and 50 notes are a similar colour, hard to tell the difference when paying for a taxi.