We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai - we loved it

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai - we loved it

We have just returned from Dubai. I'll be honest I was apprehensive about the trip, we have never been "East" always "West" so it was a whole new experience for us, however we LOVED it.

We stayed at the LRM - I won't go on about this as I've reviewed it separately, but it was a lovely hotel and a good choice.

Things that concerned me prior to arriving were what to wear (I know this has been debated many times over on the forum). I did find that mostly women were dressed respectfully, we did see 2 local ladies asking to western ladies to cover up when we were in the Dubai Mall (there were wearing short sleeveless dresses) and there was a bit of an altercation between them. I wore long skirts and a vest to the mall but had a wrap to cover my shoulders. When on the walk I wore knee length shorts during the day and a vest but did carry a wrap with me, at night I had maxi dresses on. I wasn't made me to feel uncomfortable in any way,

I was amazed at the vibe that Dubai has, I loved it. I loved the fact it was so safe to travel around and that there wasn't rowdy drunk people spilling out of establishments everywhere. Don't get me wrong both my Husband and I like a drink but personally I can take or leave it and it was the driest holiday we have ever had and neither of us were bothered by it.

The marina was a lovely place to visit and have a walk around at night as well as during the day, We would like to stay here if we visited again.

I was also amazed how warm the sea was I wasn't expecting that at all. It was so warm my Husband had trouble getting me out of it.

We had afternoon tea at the Burj Al Arab which was amazing and I think a must do for a special occasion. We also did a 15 minute helicopter trip which was also a lovely experience. Both of these were for my Husbands 40th birthday.

The fountains were amazing, the Burj Khalifa was good but I wasn't wowed by the whole experience if I am honest, the building is more stunning from the ground.

The Malls really are something else, but we did find most things were a lot more expensive than in the UK so hardly did any shopping.

We also did the Big Bus Tour and to be honest I wish we hadn't bothered, it was expensive and slow going in the traffic.

The Atlantis water park was a lot of fun and was one of the best days out we had.

I've reviewed these all separately so I won't go on too much in this post.

All in all we loved Dubai and we will certainly be coming back.

Leicester
Level Contributor
455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai - we loved it

Thanks for the post. We're really looking forward to our first trip to Dubai next week. It wasn't my choice of destination but the more I read the more I know I'm going to like it. Travelling with 12 & 14 year old kids and it's always good to hear when a place feels safe

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,645 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai - we loved it

Thanks for writing to tell us about your trip - it's always nice when people we have helped come back to tell us about it.

I'm glad you liked it. I too love the Caribbean and have stayed at Galley Bay in the past but for me Dubai has that extra edge mainly because of the safety and the variety of things to do at night.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,648 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai - we loved it

Glad you had a good time and enjoyed your stay. Dubai is a very addictive place and people return time and time again.

Falmouth, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai - we loved it

Thankyou for posting! Glad you enjoyed your holiday in Dubai. We are going next May and cannot wait! :) x

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai - we loved it

Thank you for your post. We are going soon for my husband's 40th. Any recommendations on where to eat? We like all cuisines and looking for some ideas since the list of resturants are so long! I am looking for 1 nice dinner for his birthday and another mid-range (maybe $100-150) for dinner?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
86 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai - we loved it

i can relate to this...

i visited Dubai for the 1st time DEC 2012 till JAN 2013 and i loved the place so much.

I am so excited to return next month....in less than a year its my 2ND TIME To dubai!

there is so much to do....the whole vibe and safety is so awesome!

enjoy seeing an amazing place:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai - we loved it

Thanks everyone ;0)

Catherine we were half board at the LRM so didn't eat anywhere else really. So I don't have any recommendations really, but we did have a lovely meal at the Mexican restaurant Maya at the LRM.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,645 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai - we loved it

Catherine

Where are you staying ?

What would be a nice restaurant for you - cuisine style, views, etc

and then people can help to narrow down the long list

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
375 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubai - we loved it

So glad you had a good time.

I'm researching a trip to Dubai for my partners 50th birthday next year. It isn't until October so flights haven't been released yet so can't book, but I love hearing peoples experiences and what they have done.

I've been to Dubai twice before in 2007 and 2008 so I know things have changed very much in those few short years.

I'm so excited, probably more so than my partner will be. We want to stay on the Walk and are looking at the Hilton Jumeirah, just need to get a good deal!

Lou

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
51 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubai - we loved it

Staying at the Grosevnor House for 2 nights. we aren't picky about cuisines, indian, mediterrean, middle eastern, turkish are all good for us. I think we could spend $300 USD or a little more on the nice place for his birthday,but also looking for a cheaper alternative for the other night. but $150-$200 would work.