We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

14 and 11 hour stopovers Dubai on Emirates first/business

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
14 and 11 hour stopovers Dubai on Emirates first/business

I have an upcoming trip to Europe and I'm flying First class through Dubai with a 14 hour stopover and I'm returning in business class via Dubai with an 11 hour stopover.

The outbound has me leaving Seattle at 5:30pm on a Friday arriving in Dubai at 7pm local time. I imagine I'll have slept on the flight. My outbound flight leaves at 9am. Unfortunately, I'm using miles and Emirates isn't offering Dubai connect. It's sort of slippery of them to do this but it is what it is.

My thoughts presently are to go see the Mall of the Emirates and then head to one of the hotels for a drink at a bar on an upper floor. I'm not sure how late I'd stay, but I imagine returning to the first class lounge to relax aftewards. I don't think a hotel would be worth it since I won't be sleeping. I've heard that there are nap rooms in the first class lounge in Dubai, but they're not bookable.

On the return, I leave Stockholm at 1:55pm and arrive in Dubai at 10:25pm local time. I leave at 9:40am. My thoughts were to get a room at the airport hotel and hopefully get some sleep. The flight back to Seattle is about 14 hours in business.

Does anyone have any input on this? How will I get around in Dubai? Is it safe if I've had a few drinks in the lounge? I know the locals aren't really keen on it. Any input or advice is appreciated.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,407 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 14 and 11 hour stopovers Dubai on Emirates first/business

I would take a hotel room on both stopovers. There are different airport hotels close to Terminal 3 where you arrive. You can also contact Emirates, they have sometimes hotels with very good price offers.

I would not go to the Mall of Emirates but Mall of Dubai. Have a look at the Burj and the fountain and then enter any hotel there to your liking and have some drinks at the bar. There are some nice restaurants there as well. Only restaurants linked to a hotel can serve alcohol.

To move around, taxi is the best option.

You can have some drinks. As long as you do not get drunk and behave badly, there is no problem. There are many watering holes in Dubai.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,726 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 14 and 11 hour stopovers Dubai on Emirates first/business

The hotel inside the airport is quite expensive in comparison to hotels outside the airport. Dubai is perfectly safe, including if you have a drink as long as you don't get drunk and abuse someone (presumably you don't plan to do that)

Unless there is a particular reason to go to Mall of the Emirates then I would give it a miss and go to Dubai Mall, where there is plenty to see and lots of restaurants. There are several good bars in the hotels round the lake; Address Downtown, Address Dubai Mall and The Palace at the Old Town. One of the most popular bars is Neos on the 63rd floor of the Address Downtown, which has great views of the city - you can't miss the Address Downtown as at night it is all lit up blue and white. From this area then a cab back to the airport will take 20 mins and I would look at Holiday Inn Express if you want a reasonable hotel close to terminal 3

On the return I would probably look to book into Jumeirah Creekside, which is only 10 minutes from the airport and has a great view from their rooftop bar.

3. Re: 14 and 11 hour stopovers Dubai on Emirates first/business

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 26, 2014