We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mozzies

herts
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
mozzies

Hi there, i am staying at the oasis beach hotel in July. As a person who tends to get eaten alive by Mozzies can anyone tell me whether they are in abundance in Dubai. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
California
Level Contributor
10 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mozzies

Went last year and cant say I saw one Mozzy !!

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mozzies

Lisa

I can't speak for July but I was there in May and never saw anything at all. I too get eaten alive but did not have a problem. There are more here at the moment.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mozzies

Ive been in july and never seen or been bitten by a mozzie, unlike thailand where i was eaten alive.

herts
Level Contributor
57 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mozzies

thanks for all the quick responses, i dont think ill take a chance, but im determined to have a good time.

Thanks again

Lisa

uk
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mozzies

I hate mozzies with avengance, but we've been to Dubai twice in July and in August and I haven't seen one mozzie, that's the upside of the heat - too hot for any nasty insects!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,730 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mozzies

Just a word of caution if you think it will be totally mozzie free. They are there I was bitten several times last November and again when we were there in April. Although strangely had never been bitten in all my previous vists over the past 5 years.

Perhaps it'll be too hot for them in July - I've never been in July and August and I don't know the entomology of a mozzie well enough to comment - but I'd go prepared just in case.

Best stuff is pure citronella oil that you can buy in Boots etc. Far more effective than all the costly preparatory products you get and take some Benedryl or Piriton one a day tablets just in case you forget to put the citronella oil on like I did - dooh!!

Benadryl or Piriton tablets will stop the itching.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mozzies

Absolutely agree with Latti about citronella oil. My son has a horrible reaction to mozzie bites and its the only thing that works. It smells very pleasant and if put on ankles, wrists and neck it keeps them away.

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: mozzies

Mozzies only come out to "play" in the cooler months. If you are able to be out and about to that extent in the month of July, you will only suffer from heatstroke and dehydration, not mozzie bites!

9. Re: mozzies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 12, 2009