We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantages and Disadvantages

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Advantages and Disadvantages

There seems to be a lot of people living and working in Dubai from different parts of the world and after having my first taste of Dubai as a tourist I have wondered ever since what are the advantages and disadvantages of living and working there as a foreigner.

Maybe it is the climate, though sometimes could this be a disadvantage, or is it that it seems to me as a tourist to be fairly crime free, maybe they cover it well and it isn't. It is not particularly cheap but again maybe I have only seen this through they eyes of a tourist. Is it the hours and pay are they less and more?

I am just curious to what you guys would say as people who actually live and work there now xx

1. Re: Advantages and Disadvantages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:12 am, June 22, 2006
Bolton, England
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advantages and Disadvantages

So no disadvantages then BB?

3. Re: Advantages and Disadvantages

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advantages and Disadvantages

So no plans to return soon for you then BB.............. if ever!! I think it is very good that you don't have any disadvantages that is worth a hell of a lot.

I pressume you mean the construction workers by saying the blue overall brigade? Why is that?

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advantages and Disadvantages

molliemoo, did you ever see that documentary on tv a few months ago, it showed how the constuction workers lived, they were put up in what was like a concrete prison about 4 to a room, no belongings as such only a single bed, grafting in untold temperatures and sleeping on planks in the day for a rest, 6 day working week earning a pittance and on there day off it was spent at the cash places to send money home, the saddest part was a lot had to pay back the packages provided to them before they could send money home and some of them had been out there for five years and hadnt seen there family.

I was talking to the girls in six sences spa, and they too lived in purpose built blocks , about 15 minutes away they were bused in daily by the hotel, im sure there accommodation was a lot better than the constunction workers but still sounded primative.

There advantages were they ate at the spa and could keep there tips.

They were on two year contracts and couldnt move around or had to pay the hotel back loads of money.

Only way out was if they were sacked.

It makes you wonder how the european girls get on , I expect the accommodation and packages provided are on a status basis.

What i hated was seeing the pool boys all dressed up and feinting due to the heat, saw a lot go down last year, one girl was hysterical and they had to tip a bucket of water over her head to keep her cool.

I saw one life guard told off for putting his feet in the pool to keep cool.

At the Al maha desert resort they were well looked after and did six weeks on and had about 2 weeks back home (flights paid for) also there accommodation was supposed to be good they had sat Tv in there rooms although they did share.

Sounds like a right old rant.

Bolton, England
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advantages and Disadvantages

Oh my god that is diabolical. Feel quite sad now........

I didn't see the documentary, how bad is that? That would explain why I always saw lots of construction workers on the side of the road waiting for what looked like a school bus when it arrived and I did wonder why they were all there waiting, now I know they were obviously going back to the same place.

So what you are saying is that the advantages/disadvantages depend on which country you come from and what job you are doing?

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advantages and Disadvantages

Yeah i doubt a really good beautican from the UK /France working in Six Sences would have the same lifestyle as the beautican from the phillipines or the beach boy from india.

8. Re: Advantages and Disadvantages

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advantages and Disadvantages

Nail, head, hit, I would say.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,794 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advantages and Disadvantages

But the nail hitting the head and the lack of red mist doesn't stop you both living in the region and enjoying the fruits of a lifestyle built on it does it ?

I'd hazard a guess that your houses were built by those in blue overalls, as are the malls and hotels you visit. BB you have a maid and whilst I'm sure you pay her well and treat her nicely, I bet she ain't living in your spare room.

And the fact that your hairdresser/beautician gets just Friday morning off or one other day if she's really lucky and hasn't seen her kids for more than two weeks in the last year doesn't stop me or I bet Jaky availing ourselves of their service - and wondering if a 20 dhms tip is too much.

Please don't take this as a criticism of either of you - it isn't it's just a fact of life.