We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels not accepting a mixed nationality couple?

england
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels not accepting a mixed nationality couple?

I have just read one of the reviews for a hotel and they said they got turned away as as a couple they were of mixed nationality?Anyone else experienced this?Its got me worried as I am from the uk but my bf is from Pakistan and I don't want to book into somewhere where we could be potentially turned away??

Mentioned in this post
england
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotels not accepting a mixed nationality couple?

I've been using TA for several years and the reliability of the hotel reviews is something that has deteriorated over the years to the extent that sometimes I wonder if they are any help at all. Years ago I'd say the majority of reviewers were more "hardcore travellers". These types were always more likely to try to pass on useful and objective information to any other traveller following in their footsteps. Now everybody knows about TA and different people use it for different reasons, some clearly to just get back at the hotel for something or other. It's depressing that you are forced to try to read between the lines on so many of them, as is the case here.

The forums, for me at least, now do the job of the reviews section. You get objective and useful first hand information from people who still have most of their marbles and a grasp of reality (as has been the case on this thread).

I've been to some wonderful places, but every one of them, at some time or another, has been called a dump on here by someone who somehow has managed to have a polar opposite experience to most folk. I know this probably isn't the place to release this rant, but it does illustrate the point.

airtrainandplane
Level Contributor
738 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotels not accepting a mixed nationality couple?

Shaun, I am in agreement. I think the reviews differ so much because Tripadvisor is very popular but Dubai is not going to attract what you class as "hardcore travellers" I think the contrasting reviews also depend a lot on the location of the hotels. Someone going to Dubai might be impressed if the staff "remember" their name or they have a pillow menu and some type of towel structure on the bed! I read a recent review on the Burj where a guest claimed to have become friends with the staff! That is not the type of thing that impresses me.

Different people want different things from the hotel they book, in some countries I have been happy that they have my room ready and the door locks! Having said that the (relevant) amount I am paying usually reflects the standard received and that appears to be the case in every country.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotels not accepting a mixed nationality couple?

DXBINC said;

"Absolutely no worries about mixed couples - Dubai is as cosmopolitan as you can get - and all combinations are welcome and accepted"

As cosmopolitan as you can get? Let me play devils advocate and ask about same sex couples?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotels not accepting a mixed nationality couple?

OzBrian, homosexuality, like cohabitation between hetrosexual couples, is illegal. But of course, both exist in Dubai amongst residents and holidaymakers.

england
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hotels not accepting a mixed nationality couple?

I think that is a fair point OzBrian. Dubai is certainly not Saudi Arabia, but it sin't San Francisco or Rio either, and it would be wrong to infer that it has an "anything goes" attitude to everything. There are official and unofficial codes of conduct that should be observed by right thinking people. Returning to the original question, mixed race is definitely not an issue.

Mentioned in this post
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Middle East
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hotels not accepting a mixed nationality couple?

As Shaun1967 understood, my point was only with the original DE's statement that Dubai was as cosmopolitan as you can get. A Don't ask, Don't tell policy is hardly cosmopolitan.

Having said that it's now less than 4 weeks before we hit Dubai and we are really looking forward to our trip. Thanks to the help from the DE's and others on TA we have a jam packed itinerary.

See you soon!

17. Re: Hotels not accepting a mixed nationality couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 28, 2014