We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing for Dubai?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Dressing for Dubai?

One thing I'm trying to figure out for whenever I get to Dubai is clothing. Now, I'm familiar with the rules for "respectful dress"- that is, no midriffs, cleavage, bare shoulders, shorts roughly knee length, and so on. But I have an additional concern- here at home, when I'm not flopping around at home or at work, I like to wear non mainstream/subculture clothing. My wardrobe has elements of Goth, Cyberpunk, even a little Steampunk, as well as some unique and striking pieces I've designed and made myself.

Will wearing clothes like these cause problems (Aside from possibly being too warm)?

Here's a few examples, just to show the kinds of things I like:

…imgmode.com/product/copy_PV677534915313_1.j…

eldheldoll.imgmode.com/product/limducan1.jpg

…imgmode.com/product/copy_PV46183988736_3.jpg

(For the above examples, when making those in human sizes, I know I'll need to wear different shirts underneath- I don't even show midriff at home, let alone Dubai)

cryoflesh.com/shop/metropolis-shrug-p-1666.h…

I also love long robes and tunics, perhaps making up a couple of those might be a good idea?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,889 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dressing for Dubai?

I don't actually understand why you're asking this now because from your other post it's going to be a long time before you come to Dubai. Will the answers to your question impact your decision on whether or not to come?

You would be too hot for much of the year in the outfits above. I also like similar styles of clothing but have never worn it in Dubai (in fact mine's all in storage in London) and have only seen the mildest examples of 'alternative' clothing here so you would, without doubt, attract a lot of attention but as long as you were covered up enough then I don't think it would cause problems. It just might be uncomfortable and tedious as it wouldn't like being looked at in NYC where people might accept seeing outfits they consider 'wacky' even if they are from some small town and have never seen it in real life before. The vast majority of people in Dubai will never have seen anyone dressed in this way, probably not even in the media, and will react accordingly.

If you want a relaxing, and comfortable, holiday then I'd say definitely go for the tunic option (though I don't know what they might look like). If you want to be uncomfortably hot, have constant attention, people stopping to stare and to take your photo then go with your usual attire.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dressing for Dubai?

I may be coming sometime this year if things work out- perhaps october. I might have some money coming to me, and checking out The Address website turned up some options that are similar in cost to what I've paid for hotels in NYC.

I was thinking of cutting down the number of layers, and since I make a lot of my own garb, of using lightweight fabrics- pleather would be a huge no-go, it doesn't breathe at all! Even here at home, I have to consider that for at least part of the year, as our summers can also be quite hot and sticky.

I'm sure I can come up with a compromise approach with a little thought and creativity, so I won't be die of the heat, yet won't feel like I'm wearing bland and boring stuff either.

Charlotte NC
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dressing for Dubai?

For men, are shorts, say 2-3 inches above the knee, considered disrespectful?

cheltenham
Level Contributor
133 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dressing for Dubai?

The heat in Dubai is in a completely different league - I have spent several summers in Ontario, which I know can be hot and sticky.Suggest you opt for linen and cotton fabrics and forget alternative clothing for this trip!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dressing for Dubai?

@ Royal65

You will see lots of people with shorts. They are ok for casual dressing. Business is long trousers. Evening depending where you go out. In general, shorts are ok but not perfect.

Hamilton, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dressing for Dubai?

Everyone is talking about shorts and pants what about dresses or skirts, is this appropriate ?

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dressing for Dubai?

Of course you can ware dresses and skirts ..

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dressing for Dubai?

@ MamHinic

You will be surprised how short some skirts are here.

The length has more to do with the preference of the person wearing it than the city.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dressing for Dubai?

Yeah, I just hate walking around in plain shorts and t-shirts and the like. Ugh. Basically, if the hosts of "What not to wear" approve of it, I'd probably hate being stuck dressing in it.

But yes, linens and cottons are my friends..I wonder about silk?

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dressing for Dubai?

I am from India. I wear kurtas nd tunics on trousers nd jeans. My mom will b wearing indian salwar kameez with or without dupatta. Wud it b qualified as formals and smart casuals bth? My mom doesn wear western dresses