We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portree
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

Dear emirates,

We always fly Thai or Korean airlines and find they are amazing, but as my mother uses your airline frequently and raves about your customer service we decided to take her advice. We were flying into Auckland and getting married the next day so needed good service and a comfortable airline. We were travelling as a couple with an eight year old girl. After stopping in Dubai and reboarding the plane we realised for some reason we had not been seated together. We were asked to sit and wait for the hostess to sort it out and ended up with disgruntled passengers arguing with us over their seat. We also had a suprise stop in Singapore (which was not on our tickets) where the same thing happened being not sitting together. When the hostess once again went to find us seats together we ended in an argument with a passenger and after standing up (the 3 of us to let them sit down) stopped other passengers from getting through which ended in another argument. I have a seafood diet and my daughter a childs. We told them on checking in we both also suffered with a slight wheat intolorence as we both have IBS. That was fine for the first flight as they gave us Gluten free sandwiches. The second 2 flights they went to give us huge sandwich rolls when I explained to the air hostess she said there was nothing left except fruit which we ate from Dubai to Singapore and Singapore to Brisbane. When we got to Brisbane my daughter and I were starving but as it was midnight there was nothing open. We were exhausted and starving and asked to use the Emirates lounge but were told this was for business or first class passengers only. We found some seats and tried to sleep as best as we could. Disappointing as with most airlines for a long stop over you get put up in an airport hotel not just airport couches. Finally we arrived in NZ tired exhausted and starving. We fly back to UK via Melbourne and Dubai on the 1st March and sincerly HOPE this will not be happening again. Needless to say we do not intend to use your airline again after this as such a string of incidents has occured, I am not a complainer but for the price we paid for the tickets this is terrible service.

Now for my next complaint

On the way back was worse. This time you ran out of food for my hubby (as we were at the back of the plane) We asked before leaving AKL if we'd have anymore suprise stops (like Singapore) the lady at the Emirates desk informed us we didn't but when we got to Melbourne and found out we stopped off at Kuala Lumpar I asked to speak to one of your colleagues (I think her name was Danielle) I told her it was ridiculous and with so many extra stopovers we should of been informed. 'She replied it's on your ticket' I said 'it isn't' then she said 'I know for a fact it's on your ticket' I showed her my ticket and then she replied 'well it's normally on your ticket I am going to check this out now' she never came back. When we boarded the plane we once more were served huge bread rolls and I told the girl of my dilema she asked what i could eat. I replied pretty much everything I just have a slight wheat intolerance as does my daughter so we try and cut out bread, grains, cereals etc but i can have anything else'. She asked if gluten free would be OK and I replied 'yes'. After a while she came back with chicken and rice which was nice. The next flight we had gluten free sandwiches waiting for us which were delicious. The last flight we were pretty hungry. By the time you'd gotten to us you'd run out of chicken curry for my hubby. I'm not sure what myself and my daughter got because we'd fallen asleep. One of your waiting staff tried to take our trays twice and my husband asked for him to leave it until we woke. As I woke he came over and asked if I was going to eat it, Before I had time to reply he put his hand to the tray lid and said 'it's cold' he swiftly lifted my tray and my daughters and walked off. I rung my buzzer to see if he was coming back with anything else. 'He replied 'We have nothing else gluten free that's it and I can't reheat your meals' If I knew it was the last thing I was going to eat I would of eaten it cold. He offered me fruit but I declined then he came back and put a tub of fruit infront of me and walked off.

I have never been so frustrated, tired, hungry or emotional on a flight. You still have not replied to any of my emails apart from one saying you'd look into it. This was weeks ago.

I hope no other passengars have to go through this as it was most upsetting and disturbing. I lfly so frequently but assure you I would NEVER choose you're airline again EVER!

My letter to Emirates and yes STILL NO REPLY!!!

Stotfold, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

This title of this topic caught my eye but I too, didn't have the patience to read all of the way through the initial posting. However, I have to agree with the sentiment of the title.

We made our first Emirates flight from Singapore to Melbourne in Feb this year on the basis of great reviews from friends. This was a 7 hour overnight flight. Being a frequent flyer with both BA and Virgin Atlantic, I was expecting a quick meal service and then lights out for a few hours shut-eye.

Unfortunately, Emirates do not seem to subscribe to this. It was 2 hours into the flight before we received food, half an hour later we were given a drink. By the time everything was cleared away, we were over halfway to our destination. The cabin crew then proceeded to have animated discussions of what they had done / would be doing on the next stop-over.

Overall, I found the majority of the cabin crew to be unprofessional and inconsiderate. Our next flight between Melbourne and Auckland was also with Emirates. It was marginally better but convinced us that it should be our last Emirates flight.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

I have the feeling we may not hear again from the OP.

For my experience we flew UK to Dubai. I didn't like the meal they served and they willingly offered to swap it for something different which I accepted. Meals were served on time and drinks were flowing......and I mean flowing as 4 passengers in the middle seats drank from the UK to Dubai and necked brandy and babycham none stop. Plain daft but there you go, plain greedy too and I've a feeling that's why they keep ordering them....because they were free.

Next leg of the flight was from Dubai to Bangkok. Once again the staff were helpful and accommodating. Meals were served with no problems and drinks were available again.

Staff were attentive, service good, food as you would expect for airline food. I don't particularly like airline food, but know full well that I'll probably not get what I would choose if I were not on a flight, so I am ready to accept this beforehand.

As Bronia says if you are exceptionally choosy then pre-plan and take your own snacks.

You get good and bad staff on all flights. When we board we don't know which we will get. If you get from your starting post to your destination safely that's the main priority.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,020 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

Agree with Daisy here - and what happened to the OP? No comeback yet?

Now why am I not surprised?

My last flights with EK were last week MAN-DXB and DXB-MRU.

On the first leg I had my backup cheese sandwiches purchased at MAN Boots Airside, (boring but filled a gap) and my second leg the cabin crew kindly provided an alternative to the veggie option which I couldnt eat.

EK do provide pre-ordered meals and its not their fault I can't eat some of them. As I said in my previous post they cant accomodate every Tom Dick and Harrys needs.

Gluten free is pretty straight forward though I would have thought?

Service was spot on, the drinks flowed freely and I have no complaints.

I got to Mauritius safely and thats really the main thing.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

Pago agrees with everybody.....plz use paragraphs, geesh. [;']\

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

"We also had a suprise stop in Singapore" LOL

Airlines don't make surprise stops. If they do, it is called an emergency landing, and that would be a very bad thing for the nerves.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,723 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

HappyTraveler, I have to disagree.

My one (and thankfully only) trip using Al Italia had a totally unexpected stop in Istanbul (flying Bangkok to Milan). The fact that nobody expected us to land caused extreme nervousness on board as people thought the plane was in some sort of trouble when the pilot suddenly announced we were preparing to descend. No idea why we landed there but there were so many things I disliked about the airline that it all blended into one not very good experience.

I fly Emirates regularly and tend to think they are not as good as everybody makes out. Then I fly another airline and appreciate Emirates again.

Stotfold, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

Not surprisingly, there do seem to be mixed feelings on Emirates service. However, two bad flights out of two seems very unlucky? Still, when there are so many other airlines to choose from, I can't see us giving them another chance.

BTW, the food that we did eventually get wasn't too bad as airline food goes. But, as for "free flowing" drinks ... it was hard to get any of the cabin crews attention to even get a drink of water ... I eventually had to get up and ask for one ... they were so slow to respond to a call button.

I appreciate the info from you regular Emirates users, it does help to put a bit of perspective around the poor service that we experienced.

Edited: 9:05 pm, March 09, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,672 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

Have to admit I have never used the Call button ever. If I want a drink, I just get up & get one from the galley.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,723 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

Me too jaynenewcastle, It's good to move around on planes anyway so I don't mind having to do this though it's a pain on the odd times that I'm not in an aisle seat.

Re getting a drink of water, it's worth taking a water bottle on with you and getting them to fill it up as you need it.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Emirates is a joke! Worst service I've ever encounted

I just ask for at least two drinks each time they come round, they usually do at least 3 drinks services on flights to Dubai from Birmingham (about 6 hours) so that gives me six drinks which is usually OK. For filling your water bottle up, there is usually a small drinking water tap just outside the toilet cubicles, they have small paper cups there too, but they are very small.

Hope this may help.