We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khasab by Car and do a tour

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Khasab by Car and do a tour

hi guys,

i will finally be going to dubai again for 2 weeks after 2 years in Oct/Nov. Although i have been to dubai quite a few times i have never had a chance to go to khasab but as i will be there for 2 weeks am hoping to go there.

I am looking to drive there so will not be needing transfer although i wanted to confirm what time i will need to be there in order to catch the full day tour, any particular tour company i should with or avoid?

Also i will be going with my 4 yr and 10 month old at that time, would that be an issue on the tour?

Anyone know which hire companies allow their cars to be driven to Oman?

Thanks

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khasab by Car and do a tour

This is going to be a LONG day for you and especially the children. You may want to consider an overnight in Khasab with The Golden Tulip being the best but also the most expensive hotel.

Depending where you are staying in Dubai you will need a minimum of 2hours to reach the Oman border at Shams. It is one hour from Mirdiff in Dubai to Ras al Khaimah and another 40 minutes to the border depending on traffic.

You should allow 30 mins border crossing formalities and hope there is not a bus tour just before you!! It will cost 35AED per person to leave the UAE and 50AED per person to enter Oman. If you inform the car hire company that you intend to go to Oman they will arrange the insurance but make sure you take ALL car documentation (especially the credit card type registration). From the border to Khasab is around another 45 minutes.

The first dhow cruises leave the harbour in Khasab at around 9am. There are full day tours and half day tours. There are afternoon half day tours which leave the harbour around 1-30pm. All tours have refreshments but the full day tour provides a meal (normally biryani).

Personally , if I was doing this trip in one day I would do the half-day tour. All tours go into the same fiord but the full day goes in a bit further and stops twice for snorkelling rather than the once of the half day tour.

This is a good company: http://khasabtours.com/ but to be honest you can just turn up at the dock and take your choice as there are loads of operators who seem able to find the dolphins.

All I can say is, if you do decide on the trip it will be a great day out with some magical scenery on the drive from RAK to Khasab and within the fiords. Highly recommended.

Edited: 9:36 am, February 13, 2013
Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khasab by Car and do a tour

Just to add, there are some good reviews and information here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g298416-…

London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Khasab by Car and do a tour

thanks appreciate your input very helpful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Khasab by Car and do a tour

Ok so i spoke to Dollar rental company and they do allow their car to be taken to Oman.

Does anyone know if i need to take the insurance out with them or can i get it from the border? I mean is it possible they would just give me a letter but i could purchase the insurance elsewhere?

Dollar are charing 300 AED for 7 days, not sure how that compares to getting it from the border, can we get it from the border? As i am planning to go for a day or two and dont need 7 days so was just wondering what my options were.

Thanks

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khasab by Car and do a tour

There is an insurance office at the border but it is the Oman side of the border. My private car insurance does not cover Oman and I use the border office but I am not sure if you will be allowed to exit the UAE in a hire car without insurance.

The insurance office at the border will give a 5 day (minimum) insurance and the cost is around 150AED. I was not aware before but my own insurance company recently told me that the insurance issued at the border is 3rd party cover only.

Edited: 5:12 am, February 14, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Khasab by Car and do a tour

Ok thanks that is half the cost although am not sure if Dollar rental is full comprehensive insurance.

Can anyone confirm if i do decide to get insurance from the border will that be possible?

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khasab by Car and do a tour

If you would have rented the car already in Dubai, like a couple of days before you drive down to Khasab, Oman insurance could be done in Dubai itself. Likely to be cheaper too.

However, Dollar may have already got the car covered for Oman for the year (with the usual UAE insurance done at the annual registration time), and just charging you for it. Just check it out, so you don't have to do a second insurance for the same trip.

FYI, most personal car insurance policies in Dubai now include Oman.

London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Khasab by Car and do a tour

seen. I think they are just charging to give me the documentation for approval with insurance, like you said they must have obtained insurance on the cars.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
557 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Khasab by Car and do a tour

If you try and insure a car that isn't yours, chances are you will be told you can't (easiest answer) and you will get a headache before you finally find someone willing to take responsibility for approving it. Pay the extra 150.

10. Re: Khasab by Car and do a tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 17, 2014