We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accosted at airport with free offers

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Africa
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Accosted at airport with free offers

Hi. Please help urgently. We arrived yesterday evening in Dubai and was stopped by a person who said he's from Arabian Falcon Holidays. Offered us FREE tickets to Burj Khalifa and desert tours in exchange for 90 min of our time to listen to a presentation. Has anybody else experienced this? Is is a scam? I am skeptical because the tickets to the Burj Khalifa and desert tours or cruise on the creek actually cost a fortune from the more well known Arabian Adventures. Need urgent reply pls as am on an hourly Internet access plan!

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accosted at airport with free offers

There are many travel companies vying for business, so may try to attract clients with free offers. These 'free' are not absolutely free because they will sell you some other package that you have to buy. There have been 'Egypt Holiday' scams in town, eventually they were exposed. Can't say if Arabian Falcon would be similar because no personal experience; but Arabian Adventures are well established and have a reputation to back. Better to be safe although pricey.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
643 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accosted at airport with free offers

Sounds like they're going to pitch you a vacation ownership project or the like. Looks to be a marketing tool, not a scam. Trust your instict though.

You should get other answers soon :)

South Africa
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accosted at airport with free offers

Thanks for advice. Appreciated

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,066 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accosted at airport with free offers

Is 90 minutes of your holiday time worth giving up for a presentation - scam or not.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
34 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accosted at airport with free offers

Sounds like a timeshare presentation, as a rule it lasts longer than 90 min, and they get really pissed off if you refuse to buy whatever they try to pitch. It can get really ugly, it spoiled my Disney vacation:(

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accosted at airport with free offers

I agree with Gentle Traveller, it's a marketing thing, not a scam. You be subjected to at least 90 minutes but probably more of hard sell for some holiday time share or similar. Best not to get involved and waste precious holiday time unless you are genuinely interested in what they are selling - which it sounds like they didn't even make clear to you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
372 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accosted at airport with free offers

They are every where in Las Vegas. Every hotel and corners. Even offer helicopter rides and free shows. My advice is if there is no deposit fee to book the time then book it and this will buy you more time to research the pros & cons. I have been to a few and have used the free tours and shows and have shown them that I am very much interested and 90% yes but need to sleep over it and do my decision. They will call but then it is your decision.Hope this helps anywhere u go/

Cardiff, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accosted at airport with free offers

The same experience happened to me at Dubai airport - initial I had agreed to go to the meeting. But after reading the reviews I decided to cancel - a very disgruntled sales man kept badgering me to attend. Their true colors were soon evident - but hey I'm on holiday, I don't give a damn - give me a break!

Edited: 5:10 am, June 01, 2013
9. Re: Accosted at airport with free offers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:36 am, August 22, 2013
10. Re: Accosted at airport with free offers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 07, 2014