We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

Katy
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

Any itinerary suggestions for a 4 full day in Dubai, exploring all the must-sees and must dos in new and old Dubai on ourselves without taking any tours? We prefer to stay somewhere around Kuwait Street and use the Metro train & buses and taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Metro
Metro
4 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Phoenix Desert Safari- Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Night Tours
Abu Dhabi Tour From Dubai
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

Burj Khalifa

Dubai Mall

can be seen together as they are close by. Book your online tickets for Burj Khalifa in advance

Spend one day by the creek taking in the souks and the heritage areas.

Spend some time up at the new end of Dubai by the Marina and Jumeirah beach walk.

Maybe take a desert safari one evening

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

Kuwait Street does not have any Metro rail station, only bus stops. Taxis are available, of course. The nearest is Karama Metro Station, which is on Trade Center Road, and some 10 mins walk from the Intersection on Kuwait Street. Try staying near Khaled Bin Waleed Metro Station, so you have also closer access to old Dubai (Bastakia, Museum, Textile Souk, Creek, Abra, Spice Souk and Gold Souk). Include Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Palm Jumeira sometime with the rest of the places suggested by Latimer.

Mentioned in this post
Metro
Metro
4 Reviews
Katy
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

Thanks. How do I divide my 4 days? 2 days for old Dubai and another 2 days for new Dubai?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,734 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

You can comfortably see old Dubai in one day but it really depends on how much time you want to spend in each area

Katy
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

I have done some search online and find that old Dubai comprises 3 areas: Bastakiya, Shindagha and Deira. Am I right? If I choose to stay near the Karama Metro Station, how should I go about exploring all the interesting places in the 3 areas I mention above in one day by walking? Would it be too tiring to do that? From the map, I can't figure out how big the whole area is. Also, please suggest as to where can I take breakfast, lunch and dinner for the day?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

@Katymantx

Yes, the old Dubai that would be of interests to visitors would be those 3 areas.

From Karama Metro Station, I would suggest you take the metro to Al Fahidi Station after changing the line at Khalid bin Al Waleed Station. You can actually walk there but I would not recommend it considering that you'd be doing plenty of walk for the rest of the day.

From Al Fahidi Station, you can walk to Bastakiya for the old quarters (plenty of museums in the area), Dubai Museum, Textile Souk, Iranian Mosque and Meena Bazaar.

From Meena Bazaar you can walk further up along the Creek towards the historical area of Shindaga which would include a former residence of the founding ruler of Dubai.

From there you can walk back towards Meena Bazaar, take an abra to cross the Creek to Spice Souk and Gold Souk. If you like, you can further explore the area which is called Naif.

From there you can either take the metro back to Karama via Baniyas Square Metro Station or take the abra and retrace your steps back to Meena Bazaar and take the metro from Al Ghubaiba Metro Station.

I won't recommend any specific place for meals but there are at least a couple restaurants/cafe in Bastakiya area (for your breakfast) and another couple of restaurants along the Creek in Shindaga area for your lunch.

Katy
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

yes, Anonymou5, your advice to use the Metro ( you mean the train, right? ) before and after our walk round the old Dubai is very wise. Are the Metro buses as convenient as the train? Since we (2 of us) will be using the Metro train and buses quite frequently during the 4 days, which nol Card is most suitable for us? Silver or Red? But we found out from Metro website that only the Blue card gives special rate for seniors? Both of us are seniors.

Mentioned in this post
Metro
Metro
4 Reviews
Katy
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

Is it safe to walk around the old dubai areas even at night?

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

For the Metro ride (rail or bus) just buy the NOL silver card which you can top up as you go. It is doubtful if senior discounts are available for non-UAE nationals, but you can check it while purchasing the NOL card at a Metro station. Buses are as convenient, if not more convenient, compared to train. Metro rail involves a bit of walking, escalator ride etc. Buses you can get in off the street at the stops. Old Dubai is as safe as the rest of Dubai, day or night. No worries. In any case, the city rarely sleeps. You will see roads, restaurants and coffee shops being busy till late night especially during all days of Dubai Shopping Festival, as well as all weekends.

Mentioned in this post
Metro
Metro
4 Reviews
Katy
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Explore old and new Dubai in 4 full days

OK, we'll spend one full day exploring areas in the old Dubai.

Next, we plan to explore the Downtown Dubai using the Metro. From Al Karama Station we will ride the Metro all the way to Ibn Battuta Mall, have lunch, then Metro backtrack to Dubai Marina, explore Marina Walk, take the Yellow Boat Cruise, explore the Walk at JBR, go up Mariott Harbour Hotel Observatory bar to view the Palm Jumeirah, Metro to Mall of the Emirates to view the Ski Dubai, Metro to Dubai Mall, view Dubai Aquarium, Burj Khalifa, Dinner at a strategic restaurant outdoor to see the Dubai Fountain, Metro back to Al Karama Station.

Are we too ambitious? Is it possible to cover all these in ONE FULL DAY?

Mentioned in this post
Metro
Metro
4 Reviews
Ski Dubai
Ski Dubai
8,632 Reviews