We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

Hi seems a bit confusing on the Natwest and Santander Banking website, I have both cards a Natwest Visa Debit card and also a Santander card with cirrus logo, but there websites say you can just go right ahead and use it as normal ?

Surely I should notify the banks of this in case they block it ?

Or is this not the case

South Wales, Uk
Level Contributor
134 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

Always inform your banks the dates that you are going away, so if they are used abroad they won't think that they are being used fraudulently.

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

I just called Natwest Customer Services and they said there is no notes or information they can "Add" to there computer systems to say I am going Dubai.

He stated you can simply use your card abroad and use as normal, but he did state if any issues arise you can contact natwest support number:00441313397609

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

The banks I've dealt with say you can just use the debit card as normal but to inform them for a credit card usage. We recently went to France with our family and they used their debit card with no problem and had not informed the bank beforehand.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
336 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

If your debit card is a PIN based on not just the ATM but for paying for your shopping also, than there is no concern.

However, if that is not the case.. Than it is preferred that you inform your bank about your travel plans, so that they are aware and do not block your card / account assuming that the overseas transactions is fraudulent.

Check with your bank what their policy is and you would be safe to go.

On the acceptance side in Dubai, both Visa and MasterCard (and their sub-products like Electron or Cirrus) are widely accepted.

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

Hi yeah seems santander and natwest are not concerned, and they say you can use as per normal :)

I think its a good idea to just take down the abroad contact number of your banks just in case they do block it while your down there....

West Kilbride...
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

Point to mention, check out what the charges are from your bank to use your card. We used ours in January to pay our hotel bill, and the charges by the bank were extortionate, would have been cheaper using our credit card!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
336 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

Well Tracey has a point on the charges. Do check with your bank what the "foreign exchange conversion fee" is. It ranges between 2.75% to 4.00% for cards issued in the UAE. I assume they would be more or less the same, but have heard that a handful of overseas banks go as high as 7%!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,007 posts
1,793 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

You can use your debit card abroad without any issues but be aware of the charges.

I would look to obtain a good best buy to use abroad credit card such as the Post Office Mastercard.

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

Yes quite true, they will charge all the bank websites did list the charges.

I will be taking a combination of dh, and about £100 Cash just in case... guess it would be ok for me to exchange it in one of the exchange houses, I hear its cheaper and better to exchange once there, and ill keep my card in case of backup.

10. Re: Can I use my Visa debit card abroad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 30, 2013