We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code

Apologies if there's already one about dress code but here I go anyway...

OK so swimwear is ok around the pool and on the beach but best to pull on some linen trousers and a t-shirt to walk around in? Are shorts good? I read somewhere that women shouldn't wear low dresses or shorts?!!! And the evening, are strapless/strappy tops ok or are shoulders on show a big no no? I live in jeans are they not seen as dressy enough for the evening? obviously I'd wear a frock for a really nice restaurant...ahhhhh...are legs on show ok?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code

Hi flossie the dress code question is asked all the time and there are 9 pages on it but in a nut shell- I saw hardly any shorts or jeans and in evenings no clevages or bare shoulders outside the hotels. I spent the days in linen cut-offs and tshirt.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code

I never seen shorts really, but dresses skimpy and dressy jeans def seen.

Its flash and well dressed led, but not oldfashioned quite the opposite. With skimpy dresses i take a Pashmino manily as the air con is fearce. But I would only dress like that in hip bars/clubs and resturants not at the gold souk. Dubai is very trendy and designer led so dont worry.

Dubai, UAE
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code

We love playing spot the tourist here. It's so easy. Flossie, do a search on all the relevant words on here and, as Rosie says, you will find tons and tons. Then, if you have more questions, come back and we will happily ask them. You may find jeans a little hot to wear here, particularly if you wear them during the day. Are your jeans dressy enough? I don't know, but I know people who wear jeans that costs thousands of dirhams, I'd say they were pretty ok!!!

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code

Frock???

Depends on where u are going and time of day.... walking around (depending where) then yes be a bit covered up...

e.g. the gold souk or the streets of bur dubai and karama - cover up.... jeans and t shirts will do fine.

mainly cause people will stare.

3/4 shorts will also do fine.

if your going to the pub/disc/club/restaurant... then frock showing leg (clean), great.

tops - decent... if it is off the shoulder, generally u can have a shawl or jersey....

or casual trousers will do anywhere.

jeans are very common and if you wear them with good shoes/top are acceptable at almost all places....

beach/pool - bikini will do just fine

we judge the full package.....(including the handsome hubby) so if not, pls leave Mr excess baggage at home.