We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clean sea water? Safe to swim

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
61 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Clean sea water? Safe to swim

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to ask is it ok to swim in the Sea in Dubai?

I do like pools but I don't find them terribly exciting and I find it easier to tread water and float in the Sea.

I don't know if my friends here were scaremongering or genuine but they said that the water is dirty due to unscrupulous unregulated local firms dumping rubbish and chemicals in the sea.

Another thing they said was that I would probably just see big cylinder pipes that are used for transporting oil under water!

Yikes!

I am staying at the Le Royale Meridien and was really excited about a private beach and the luxury of paddling about in the sea

Thoughts people?

Will the water be dirty and give me Hepatitis (they said it was that bad?!)

Thanks

Roxy

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clean sea water? Safe to swim

I think you're friends are scaremongering. I live in Dubai and swim in the sea and I've never had any problems and never seen an oil pipeline, I don't know where on earth your friends were swimming if they were telling the truth.

Dubai
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clean sea water? Safe to swim

Agree, they are scaremongering. I moved here last August and regularly go to the beach and swim. It's absolutely fine.

There is a lovely place called Jumeirah Beach Park too. Very cheap to get a taxi to. It has green landscaped areas and little cafe's near the beach where people like to chill out. It's nice there on a Monday as its women and children only day so is less crowded. Think its 5 dirhams to get in or 20 for a car.

I haven't got Hepatitis!! ;)

Edited: 1:48 pm, March 21, 2012
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Clean sea water? Safe to swim

I disagree....sewage dumping is still rife even after they have improved the sewage facilities at Al Awir.....I would not swim in the sea here, personally.

Edited: 7:17 pm, March 21, 2012
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clean sea water? Safe to swim

Stayed in the habtoor next to LRM and went into the sea regularly saw no pipes and all seemed very clean.

However stayed on the palm at JZS and our daughter was in the sea with her friend when we noticed huge dark patch of water gradually moving along fortunately the got out the water in time before it caught up with them and we gradually saw it move past the fotel towards the one and only ....... My guess was it was sewage. No more swimming after that

Dubai
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Clean sea water? Safe to swim

Oh, that's gross! Glad they got out in time.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clean sea water? Safe to swim

i agree with harrypic....after 9 years dubai, i also would'nt push my luck to far.

Dubai
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Clean sea water? Safe to swim

Do you think its the same at Jumeirah Beach Park? It only used to be the see through, white boxer shorts that bothered me.......

8. Re: Clean sea water? Safe to swim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, March 28, 2013