We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

Leicester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

My girlfriend and I would like to stay in Dubai but in a Muslim country wonder what reaction one would get at hotel reception when checking with passports in different names? Anyone had experience of this situation? Any advice welcome. Thank you everyone. Phil

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

Considering many married couples retain separate surnames, it should not be a problem, but if it you can always claim this is the case. If anyone does have experience of this happening (two different surnames in passports) I would like to know, as my wife has not changed her surname [yet] either.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

This would hardly be a problem?? I hope not anyway?

sure most couples go to Dubai on honeymoon and your honeymoon is within days of the wedding ( in most cases ) which doesn’t give enough time to process new passport if changing names. This is my situation when travelling to Dubai but i didn’t imagine it would be an issue ? a hotel can hardly question your situation

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

You'll have no problem, been there with various girlfriends more than a dozen times and thousands of others do it every year, just get used to being called Mr and Mrs by the Hotel staff.

Edited: 11:19 am, March 12, 2012
Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
44 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

You'll be fine. I went with my wife before we were married. She was worried so we bought her a cheap metal ring from argos which she didn't bother wearing in the end.

Don't start snogging by the pool coz no-one will believe you're husband and wife then!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,908 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

Different surnames means nothing. In many cultures women don't change their name when they get married and even in the UK they don't always do it. Nobody will know you are not married unless you tell them so the easy solution is just don't tell them.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

You won't have a problem.

In Italy we keep our maiden name when we marry and there's nothing on my passport to say I'm married, we have travelled all over the world and no one has ever questioned this including Dubai.

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

Chill Bro. There would be no issues, as long as you don't attract attention.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

As everyone says no one will know you are not married unless you tell them. They will simply assume that you are.

It is common to be addressed in the hotels by your first name anyway so for example Mrs Susan or Mr Robert.

My surname is different to my husband's and we go to Dubai all the time without a second's thought

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

Looks like we'll be OK then Philip!

Can't wait to be there with you,

Cass xx

Avalon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unmarried couples sharing hotel rooms?

What if our passports are from different countries...:(..? I am US citizen and my partner is not. Would they beleive something like - we got married recently and he is in the process of obtaining new documents? The opportunity for this trip came up unexpectedly and I was sooo excited but then start reading about their laws and customs and not even sure I want to go any more....:(....I mean theoretically you can end up in jail for it....seriously?