We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastleigh, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

We arrived in Dubai on the Thursday 15th December late evening 10.30 ish. I have never seen such a busy passport control area, there must have been over 20 lines open with half that in officers!! In each line there were at least 200 people waiting, this kept growing as the hours passed.

There seems to have been an influx of people from India and Sri Lanka moving to Dubai as almost all lines were full of them all holding lots of paper work. ! Many would queue then spend AGES at the desk only to be sent back to the visa desk to sort something out, they would then come back and push in at the front which was causing major arguments.

It appears to be the most innefficient airport I have ever been to, we were there well over 2 hrs and no place to get water that I saw. When we eventualy got through I Opened my passport and a min later I was through.

I really think there should be a separate line for people who are moving to a country and need lots of visa stuff and papers looked at. As a tourist in another country I fully expect time to be spent on passport control but this was a night mare .

It was almost 1 am when I finaly got out the airport.

Really puts me off returning to Dubai. Someone told me that Thursday and Friday night is always like this ?

What was your experience ?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,472 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

I have always breezed through in less than 1 hour from plane door to taxi. I always arrive at around 8am in the monring so maybe that helps.

Late evening and very early morning is always the busiest time and if you travel again at this time then look at the Marhaba meet and greet service which includes immigration fast tracking - it costs money but maybe that's worth it for you

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

"It appears to be the most innefficient airport I have ever been to, we were there well over 2 hrs and no place to get water that I saw. When we eventualy got through I Opened my passport and a min later I was through."

I don't think that's the case. Europeans have it very easy when travelling within the Euro-zone a dedicated queue for EU passport holders or no passport control in many airports. It's a different story if you are a non-EU passport holder. Wait times at LHR can be hideous for international travellers. Let's not even start with entry to America - now that's a totally inefficient and frankly rather harrowing process for many. That's all all in the Western world too! I've been to parts of Africa and Asia where you require an agent to bribe and skip your way through a totally chaotic and corrupt system.

As you quite rightly point out it's a really easy process for those lucky enough to qualify for a visa on arrival and a very efficient system. For those coming from visa controlled countries then it's not such a nice process, but that's what the UAE have deemed necessary for border security.

As Latimer points out you can use the Marhaba service which has a fast track line. There are also fast track queues for premium passengers of different airlines. Those with long term visas and Gold Skywards members can also register for the electronic gates.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

I can remember queuing for much more than an hour to get OUT of the UK at Birmimgham Airport. The queue went round the food court area about two and a half times and there was one man sitting at passport control.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,219 posts
1,640 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

For UK/EU citizens, immigration is a breeze. They have plenty of desks open, there are no forms to complete, they scan your passport, maybe ask a few questions and away you go.

As for having different queues, in the UK there is a channel for EU citizens and then a channel for all other's. Not sure why Dubai should have something different.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,078 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

Also E Gates in the UK for those of us with biometric passports Preston

I never had to queue at Passport control in Dubai either.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,338 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

In my experience it is not one of the fastest. We've ended up waiting in long queues which I agree is infuriating. For me the most annoying thing is the lack of urgency by the desk officer. They seem to think you have all the time in the world and show no interest in trying to hurry people through. Sorry to say this but I've never queued anywhere else like I have in Dubai and we have normally landed at the weekend.

Regardless it has not stopped us visiting time and time again.

UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

Sounds like you were a bit unlucky - I had a very stress free experience during a recent trip. The airport itself is one of my favourite airports in the world.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

No complaints from us, much slower queues in USA and in Australia

Bahrain
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

feel sorry about your bad experience...traveling during December can be chaotic at any airport.. still Dubai isn't as bad as Heathrow or JFK.

Yes it can get a bit crazy with so many new immigrants arriving in but most of the time, passport control is a breeze.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
952 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passoprt control at Dubai Airport ,what was your experience?

I flew into T3 twice in the latter part of last year, each time the queues were horrendous. Agree they should have a seperate queue for those getting visas on arrival. Luckily, I have my UAE e-gate so I just breezed through as normal.