We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandatory medical insurance to enter the UAE?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
126 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Mandatory medical insurance to enter the UAE?

Today, I received an e-mail from the travel agent who is handling my visas for Dubai.

She told me that, apart from the cost of the visa, I need to pay an addtional 15 euro per passport for a mandatory medical insurance!

In her e-mail, she forwarded me the following text, as an "official explanation":

Dear Partners,

Greetings from Dubai

Effective from the 1st August 2011, the UAE government passed a new visa regulation requiring UAE visitors to have mandatory a valid medical insurance at the time of application of a visit visa to the UAE.

Visit Visa Medical Takaful Plan is the plan approved by the UAE government for the visit visa application. The plan provides the medical coverage as required by the UAE visa regulations for visitors entering the country.

The plan covers emergency inpatient medical expenses incurred by visitors while in the UAE, 24 hours a day for up to maximum of AED 150,000 and repatriation of mortal remains up to maximum AED7,500.

The plan offers facility for direct billing settlement to providers where visitors can access the company’s wide network of healthcare providers without the need to pay first, thus providing convenience for fast medical attention in time of emergency.

An external health insurance is not accepted and above is mandatory.

Now, I was wondering if anyone else has heard about this "mandatory health insurance" which costs 15 euro or is it just a made up thing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mandatory medical insurance to enter the UAE?

The insurance is for those who have to actually apply for a visa, if you're a UK citizen then the visa is isued on arrival, no insurance required so you won't be refused entry.

Always best to have insurance though, I never travel without it

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mandatory medical insurance to enter the UAE?

No we British Citizens do not require any form of Medical Insurance to enter the UAE so you do not need to buy any BUT you will have to pay for any medical services if you unfortunately fall ill.

The choice is yours,

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Mandatory medical insurance to enter the UAE?

I will get some! I didn't even think of getting it until I seen this post. Especially now that I have a wee one!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
13,620 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mandatory medical insurance to enter the UAE?

It's not worth risking travelling without travel insurance. Look online for some good offers but look what you are paying for too.

15. Re: Mandatory medical insurance to enter the UAE?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, April 09, 2013